Halogen Cooker

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:25 PM
My gas cooker/oven has been on the blink for some time. I've heard good (albeit not glowing) reports from friends about the halogen cookers, so I've been considering buying one. Today, the one pictured below was reduced by 60% (apparently) to about 30 quid so we bought it. Information on the net indicates that it is able to cook tandoori chicken but I have my doubts about that. Anyway, it was 1/5th the price of a new gas cooker so I shall give it a go and hopefully be able to give it a favourable review for CookingBites.

Houseworth HW-COG12

halogen cooker s.jpg

My gas cooker/oven has been on the blink for some time. I've heard good (albeit not glowing) reports from friends about the halogen cookers, so I've been considering buying one. Today, the one pictured below was reduced by 60% (apparently) to about 30 quid so we bought it. Information on the net indicates that it is able to cook tandoori chicken but I have my doubts about that. Anyway, it was 1/5th the price of a new gas cooker so I shall give it a go and hopefully be able to give it a favourable review for CookingBites.

Houseworth HW-COG12

View attachment 4353
Not sure about tandoori chicken - it only seems to go up to 250 deg, whereas I think tandoor ovens work at over 400 deg. I believe they are very energy efficient though, but given that they work using infra red light in a clear glass bowl won't it give everyone in the kitchen a good suntan? :)

Not sure about tandoori chicken - it only seems to go up to 250 deg, whereas I think tandoor ovens work at over 400 deg.

Yes (assuming we are talking Celsius not some strange American scale) tandoors can reach temperatures well in excess of 400 degC. As I said, I'm doubtful but prepared to give it a go.

Houseworth HW-COG12

View attachment 4353

Looks nice!! But I won't be getting one. I'm happy with my Oster oven. :wink:

It wouldn't really replace your gas cooker/oven though - or would it?

A Bunsen burner would adequately replace my gas oven at the moment!

However, I shall not condemn it until I have given it a chance. On the cards for tomorrow is a tinned Fray Bentos steak and kidley pie which I've had for about 5 years. With mushy peas, of course.

A Bunsen burner would adequately replace my gas oven at the moment!

However, I shall not condemn it until I have given it a chance. On the cards for tomorrow is a tinned Fray Bentos steak and kidley pie which I've had for about 5 years. With mushy peas, of course.
That will be a very interesting test. I think I was meaning that size alone wouldn't make it a replacement. How would you fit in a full roast dinner?:D

I think I was meaning that size alone wouldn't make it a replacement. How would you fit in a full roast dinner?:D

It's quite large. The bowl is 300 mm diameter and 150 mm deep. Easily big enough for a medium chicken and a few vegetables. Don't forget, there are only the two of us (plus two bloody cats).

This afternoon I put my 4 year old Fray Bentos steak and kidley pie in it. Initially I had it on the high rack which it soon became obvious was wrong. I changed to the low level rack but it may have been too late as the pastry caught a little.

FB S&K Pie s.jpg

I also made the mistake of not checking the colour temperature of halogen bulbs before I took this:

cooking s.jpg

You can tell it's an old tin - it's actually got a few chunks of meat in it!

I think the meat must migrate with time.

[There are a few more pieces under the crust].

I have an apple and rhubarb pie. I checked on the net to get an idea of how to warm it in the halogen oven.

"Just follow the pie's warming instructions but reduce the cooking time" wasn't very helpful....

applerhubarbpie.jpg

About 15 minutes at 160 degC. Tasted OK with custard.

rhubarbapple s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom