Halogen Cooker

Fray Bentos pie and mushy peas :hungry: - happy days [ but the mushy peas MUST be bright green].

Unfortunately you are wrong. Only Bachelors add fluorescein to their "tinned" mushy peas. The ones above were home cooked utilising dried marrowfat peas with no additives whatsover (OK, a little bi-carb and salt).

Unfortunately you are wrong. Only Bachelors add fluorescein to their "tinned" mushy peas. The ones above were home cooked utilising dried marrowfat peas with no additives whatsover (OK, a little bi-carb and salt).

The following from Wiki. But it is rather an old entry - I'll do a bit more research. I'm pretty sure we can still buy the brighter green ones here.

The British Food Standards Agency, on 28 April 2008, asked for a voluntary ban on artificial food colourings and suggested that the ban would be practical by the end of 2009. This would mean that certain foods, including mushy peas, would need to be free of the additive, otherwise the item might be removed from sale.[8] Mushy peas present a particular problem since there is no alternative to tartrazine that gives it the bright green colour.[verification needed] Without the colourant the dish would be murky grey. Ministers have stated that they will pursue a ban through law if food manufacturers do not phase out the food colourings.[9]

The pastry still looks a bit on the burnt side around the edges. Is it to do with the heat source?

You weren't listening MG. I initially used the high level rack which was incorrect. I subsequently changed it to the low level rack but by that time the pastry had caught.

I'm learning.

I've just tried my Yorkshire pudding tin in it and it's too big (by about 3mm)!

bun tin.jpg

You weren't listening MG. I initially used the high level rack which was incorrect. I subsequently changed it to the low level rack but by that time the pastry had caught.

I'm learning.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the FB pie. However, it's going to be a lot of trial and error. Even if I could decipher the Chinglish instructions, I doubt whether there would be any reference to tinned Fray Bentos pies or rhubarb and apple pies.

You could use individual dariole moulds if you have any. That way you get tall puffy Yorkshire's. But that might not be your desired type of pudding.

Probably would be too tall for my taste. Notwithstanding that fact, where am I to obtain them from in Nakhorn Nowhere?

Surprise, surprise! My wife arrived home today with a set of ten what appear to be Dariole moulds (albeit made from a cheap alloy of some kind). They are not as deep are the ones shown on your image.

I shall post an image tomorrow.

Dariole moulds (90 pence for 10!)

dariole moulds 2s.jpg

Excellent! They look great! Are you going to do some Yorkshires in them? You could do other puddings in them...

They are not foil but very light alloy. I'll try Yorkies but I rarely eat other puddings. I'm a little wary of the Yorkies sticking through.

In fact, these moulds are more like the size of the ones I use. But yours are 'fluted'. I'm not sure if that is an issue. Probably not. The thing is, with Yorkshires, that you need to get the fat sizzling in the base of the mould before pouring in the batter. Can you do that in the Halogen?

Back
Top Bottom