• 1 onion (peeled and cut in half)
  • 2 litres coca-cola
for the glaze
  • 1 handful of cloves
  • 1 heaped tablespoon black treacle
  • 2 teaspoons english mustard powder
  • 2 tablespoons demerara sugar

Method

1. Find a mild-cure gammon that doesn't need soaking, but if you know that you're dealing with a salty piece, then put it in a pan covered with cold water, bring to the boil, then tip into a colander in the sink and start from here; otherwise, put the gammon in a pan, skin-side down if it fits like that, add the onion, then pour over the Coke.
  2. Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for just under 2½ hours. If your joint is larger or smaller, work out timing by reckoning on an hour per kilo, remembering that it's going to get a quick blast in the oven later. But do take into account that if the gammon's been in the fridge right up to the moment you cook it, you will have to give it a good 15 minutes or so extra so that the interior is properly cooked.
  3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 240°C/gas mark 9/450ºF.
  4. When the ham's had its time (and ham it is, now it's cooked, though it's true Americans call it ham from its uncooked state) take it out of the pan and let cool a little for ease of handling. (Indeed, you can let it cool completely then finish off the cooking at some later stage if you want.) Then remove the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove. Then carefully spread the treacle over the bark-budded skin, taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook in a foil-lined roasting tin for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze is burnished and bubbly.
  5. Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 180°C/gas mark 4/350ºF, turning up the heat towards the end if you think it needs it.

Taken from www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

Apparently this is a very good way of cooking meat because the Coca Cola is very good at tenderising meat and breaking it down to make it very soft... So I have heard. I can't comment first hand what this is like but my family have cooked gammon this way in the past.

I've made this lots of times - was going to post it as it does work well - but I don't have a joint of ham or gammon available right now and I've made a rule for myself that I'm not going to post anything unless I have made it and photographed it. The reason? I wouldn't know where to stop otherwise! In my own recipe book alone: ham quiche, chicken and ham pie, ham in pasta (various), ham cooked in cider, pea and ham soup, croque monsieur, ham omelet, ham pizza, roasted ham with marmalade, ham and pumpkin soup, ham in mac 'n cheese, cheese and ham pancakes, and more. The list goes on - in fact there are 1,070,000 recipes for 'left over ham' if you google and over 24 million recipes for ham!:eek: Even assuming that some are duplicated....
Well, I could spend all day browsing them and selecting ones I thought sounded good and the challenge would be totally swamped by Morning Glory posts! However, I've got some of my own recipes which I'll post in due course when I get a chance to cook them. And I've also got an idea brewing...

Last edited:
I've made this lots of times - was going to post it as it does work well - but I don't have a joint of ham or gammon available right now and I've made a rule for myself that I'm not going to post anything unless I have made it and photographed it. The reason? I wouldn't know where to stop otherwise! In my own recipe book alone: ham quiche, chicken and ham pie, ham in pasta (various), ham cooked in cider, pea and ham soup, croque monsieur, ham omelet, ham pizza, roasted ham with marmalade, ham and pumpkin soup, ham in mac 'n cheese, cheese and ham pancakes, and more. The list goes on - in fact there are 1,070,000 recipes for 'left over ham' if you google and over 24 million recipes for ham!:eek: Even assuming that some are duplicated....
Well, I could spend all day browsing them and selecting one's I thought sounded good and the challenge would be totally swamped by Morning Glory posts! However, I've got some of my own recipes which I'll post in due course when I get a chance to cook them. And I've also got an idea brewing...

I'm so glad that there are options though for ham! Once I posted it I was doubting my choice, thinking "is it too awkward of an ingredient to use for the challenge?!" but it seems like it's working out. 24 million recipes can't be wrong, hey?! :wink:

I have made this is the past and I loved it. It is so tasty and I great way to prepare ham.
Ham is one of my favorite meals so we enjoy preparing it this way.

Thank you for posting the link. I see a lot of really great recipes on there as well as other
information. Looking forward to checking it out more closely when I have more time to
really sit down and enjoy it!

Coca cola is also makes the ham a bit sweet I suppose but it gives a nice rounder taste. I used to add a little soda water and pineapple in my roasted chicken to give that same tenderness in meat that doesn't need a lot of physical application, this is good!

Well, I could spend all day browsing them and selecting one's I thought sounded good and the challenge would be totally swamped by Morning Glory posts! However, I've got some of my own recipes which I'll post in due course when I get a chance to cook them. And I've also got an idea brewing...
I only posted it because I have 2nd hand knowledge of it... I am sticking with recipes that I know, have adapted to suit my needs or my family makes for this challenge! It makes pictures a touch difficult but I still want to participate and getting recipes onto the site is useful. So given that I know this one works, I thought I might upload it even if I am never tasted it myself. There are a couple more that I know inside out that family (on both sides make) so I suspect I will have a few more recipes yet to post even if I don't actually make them... But thinking about it, there are one or two that I have adapted to my needs that I could do, it is just that this weeks meals are already 'arranged' because we shop on Saturday's which make actually making the recipe before I post it here rather difficult really!

I have a friend who makes pulled pork and the secret ingredient is Coca Cola. It does a great job of tenderizing meat and adds and sweet and savoury flavour to meat. I think I've heard of others using Dr. Pepper to braise tougher cuts of meat as well. The meat is fall of the bone tender with a deep rich flavour.

I have a friend who makes pulled pork and the secret ingredient is Coca Cola. It does a great job of tenderizing meat and adds and sweet and savoury flavour to meat. I think I've heard of others using Dr. Pepper to braise tougher cuts of meat as well. The meat is fall of the bone tender with a deep rich flavour.

This Coca Cola in cooking was foreign to me until I came here and might have heard about it elsewhere as well. I generally don't even keep too many around if at all. It's the beverage I drink maybe once a year to get my high. Outside of that it's the beverage my husband keeps sometimes for his alcohol buddies to use as a chaser of sorts. Interesting use of the product here though.

Back
Top Bottom