Happy St Patrick's Day - what are you cooking?

Even though I'm not Irish my family has usually had corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. We love it, and March is when it was always available in the stores. This year I didn't think to buy any, so this year it is hash made from last night's leftover pork loin.

I'm saving the corned beef as a quick start to pastrami. Soak/rinse several times, pat dry, slather with mustard, coat with equal parts of coarsely ground black pepper and coriander seeds, then smoke and steam when ready to use.

I'm saving the corned beef as a quick start to pastrami. Soak/rinse several times, pat dry, slather with mustard, coat with equal parts of coarsely ground black pepper and coriander seeds, then smoke and steam when ready to use.

Corned beef is not really a traditional food in Ireland - it seems to have been adopted in America to replace bacon when cooked with cabbage (I read that somewhere).

Anyway - I love the way you guys over the pond make corned beef - its not really seen here in the UK at all (unless you include the tins of Fray Bentos which are not the same at all).

Back
Top Bottom