Harvest time

Local time
2:22 AM
I love this time of year......we can start to harvest some of the veg that we've spent the last few months planning and growing :hyper:
We're self-sufficient in tomatoes and cucumbers right now. We won't need to buy any garlic or onions for a long time and it looks like we're going to have plenty of potatoes to keep us going for months :okay:

This was our veg ready for Sunday lunch - Red Duke Of York potatoes, various carrots, baby turnips and baby leeks. All freshly harvest from the allotment and the garden

IMG_20170730_153127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten into a habit of using tinypic for messages boards, but looks like there's a problem right now. Picture should be fixed now :)

That's better - you need to click on 'full image' to show the photo properly. I did that for you. When you upload a file you see this:
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 19.48.52.png

Click on 'full image'.

Now to more important things! I am very envious of your beautiful veg. I have nothing growing that is edible unless I count sage and rosemary. I love the carrots in shades of yellow through to deep red. What type of potatoes are the Duke of York? I mean, are they good mashers, bakers etc?

Thanks for fixing the pic :)

They're first earlies which usually means they are more of a boiling or salad potato. But these actually make really nice roasties (crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside) and jackets. Haven't tried mash yet, but considering that they tend to fall apart a bit when boiled I'm guessing they're going to be great :okay:

They're first earlies which usually means they are more of a boiling or salad potato. But these actually make really nice roasties (crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside) and jackets. Haven't tried mash yet, but considering that they tend to fall apart a bit when boiled I'm guessing they're going to be great :okay:

Sounds like a good 'all rounder'.

New potatoes make nice chips too :D

That is a great little crop @MrsDangermouse. We have a few things planted mostly in pots. It is surprising how much can be grown in pots. At the moment we have a nice bunch of chard in a pot.

It is surprising how much can be grown in pots.

I have grown peppers and chillies in pots outside, as well as herbs indoors. The problem is finding somewhere to put the outdoor pots out of the mutt's reach and aim. A grey is so long that even stuff placed on top of fridge freezers is not safe.

I have grown peppers and chillies in pots outside, as well as herbs indoors. The problem is finding somewhere to put the outdoor pots out of the mutt's reach and aim. A grey is so long that even stuff placed on top of fridge freezers is not safe.

Oh I see. I don't have a dog so that isn't a problem. I have hung pots from a wall or fence, high up, in the past.

At the moment I have some chard doing well in a big pot which thankfully hasn't got eaten by slugs.

Th
I love this time of year......we can start to harvest some of the veg that we've spent the last few months planning and growing :hyper:
We're self-sufficient in tomatoes and cucumbers right now. We won't need to buy any garlic or onions for a long time and it looks like we're going to have plenty of potatoes to keep us going for months :okay:

This was our veg ready for Sunday lunch - Red Duke Of York potatoes, various carrots, baby turnips and baby leeks. All freshly harvest from the allotment and the garden

View attachment 9529
That's a fantastic display @MrsDangermouse! All I have managed this year are tomatoes, chillis, runner beans plus the usual herbs.

Back
Top Bottom