Recipe Harvest Vegetable Stew

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:22 AM
Lets make the most of all those lovely root vegetables! This recipe was a simple discovery. I recently learned that chilli and fresh garden herbs make magic together. I don't normally use both in a recipe unless its some fresh coriander or mint in a curry. Thanks to making @ElizabethB 's recipe for Red Beans and Andouille Sausage Over Rice which uses jalapeño and fresh herbs, I learned that there is a complexity of flavour when they are combined.

The small amount of jalapeño in this recipe adds a subtle hum and I think any more would overpower the saffron. But if you want to go hotter then use more chilli and substitute turmeric for saffron. I served this with crusty French bread.

20171008_160407.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2 to 3)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp garlic/ginger paste
1 fat leek, cut into rings
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
3 small turnips, cut into chunks
6 small potatoes, cut into chunks
2 medium parsnips, cut into chunks
12 baby carrots
1/2 large sweet potato, cut into chunks
A handful of mange-tout (or peas)
Small bunch of thyme, rosemary and sage, tied with string
2 or 3 bay leaves
750 ml vegetable stock
A good pinch of saffron
1 x 400g tin of chick peas
White pepper and salt, to taste

Method
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the leeks and the jalapeno pepper. Fry gently until the leeks are softened.
  2. Stir in the garlic/ginger paste and cook gently for a few minutes.
  3. Add all the remaining vegetables except the mange-tout.
  4. Add the stock, herbs and saffron. You may not need all the stock. You need enough to generously immerse the vegetables.
  5. Simmer uncovered for approx. 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the stock has reduced. Add the mange tout and chickpeas and cook to heat through. Add white pepper and salt to taste. Serve with crusty bread to dunk.
20171008_160519.jpg

...and I got to use the lovely ceramic ladle I bought in at an antique fair in Saffron Walden. Its circa 1930's - bought for £2!

Back
Top Bottom