Has anyone ever canned homemade baked beans before?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:25 AM
Have any of you ever canned homemade baked beans before?

I'm considering doing it, so as to keep on hand whenever I want some homemade baked beans in a hurry without having to make them first.

What do you think? :wink:

This sounds like an awesome idea!! I can't never get my moms recipe to turn out to ever can them but I think I may give her a call to can me some of her beans. I was also told that freezing baked beans is good to. Never tried that though.

This sounds like an awesome idea!! I can't never get my moms recipe to turn out to ever can them but I think I may give her a call to can me some of her beans. I was also told that freezing baked beans is good to. Never tried that though.

I've done it that way as well. But now, since I have a Presto 16-qt pressure canner / cooker, I want to try it again, as I did many years ago in the early '70s!! :wink:

I have canned beans before. It is not an easy task. If they are too cooked when you put them in the jars, they become mush after processing. They must be processed a loooong time (well over an hour, depending on the jar size, etc). Even so, a few of mine do not seal each time. I finally decided it is too much trouble for me. I now cook big batches of beans and freeze. If you canned beans and succeeded, please update! I would love any tips to make the job easier as I do not like to rely on my freezer!!

Instead of canning, I just make enough so that the beans last few days. Then I just pressure cook them, since it is so much easier than the regular slow way in the oven. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom