Has anyone ever made Paella?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:40 PM
Have any of you ever made this dish?

It is a Spanish dish, consisting of rice, seafood (shrimp & mussels), sometimes chicken, water & seasonings.

I just saw it being made on the Food Network's Guy & Hunter's European Vacation.

I've always wanted to make this, but haven't yet. How do you make yours, if you've made it at all? Also, I've always been intrigued by this dish. I've had it once in a restaurant in Washington, DC.. :wink:

Oh Yes! Double yes! And its wonderful. But you must have saffron. Really, you must! I will look up my recipe. There are special types of rice used for paella if you want to be really authentic. The rice needs be round short grain rice but not rice which becomes to 'creamy'. Some common varieties are: Bahia, Balilla, Bomba, Senia, and Calasparra.

Oh Yes! Double yes! And its wonderful. But you must have saffron. Really, you must! I will look up my recipe. There are special types of rice used for paella if you want to be really authentic. The rice needs be round short grain rice but not rice which becomes to 'creamy'. Some common varieties are: Bahia, Balilla, Bomba, Senia, and Calasparra.

Saffron is a very expensive spice Too much of it will make the dish taste like medicine!! :eek:

A friend brought me some saffron from Turkey once. Very cheap but total rubbish.

Even on my few visits to Spain, I've only sampled Paella once. Unfortunately I appear to be allergic to certain types of mussels - bring on an asthma attack - so I steer clear of it. Sad really.

Even on my few visits to Spain, I've only sampled Paella once. Unfortunately I appear to be allergic to certain types of mussels - bring on an asthma attack - so I steer clear of it. Sad really.
It can be made with prawns and other seafood. There isn't a set recipe which says mussels.

Back
Top Bottom