Has anyone ever made Paella?

That link doesn't work for me but it does if I copy and paste.

5,200 quid/kg is a bit pricey (albeit it doesn't weigh much per stigma).
That's funny. The link works for me. Saffron is always expensive if you consider it per kilo. But the point is, that you don't need very much - and it transforms the most humble ingredients into a gourmet treat!

It can be made with prawns and other seafood. There isn't a set recipe which says mussels.

But then it becomes "khow phad plaa" or "khow phad khung" which I can buy at the restaurant 100 metres down the road for just over 10 bob!

[and ask them for turmeric in the rice].

I love Paella, though I can't remember whether I've actually had it in Spain or not (haven't been to Spain for a long time). I make mine with chicken and chorizo which probably isn't strictly authentic but hubby doesn't eat seafood so I have to improvise :rolleyes: My favourite way to cook it is outside on the Cadac skottel - with a glass of red wine in hand just to complete that Mediterranean feeling.

No clue but it is what I use in Spanish rice.
The fake saffron is commonly known as American Saffron or Mexican Saffron. True saffron is Greek Saffron, Spanish Saffron or true Saffron.

Fake saffron is derived from the dried petals of Safflower (or Carthamus tinctorius), a stiff thistle plant (bottom). In India, true saffron is sometimes replaced or mixed with turmeric as another form of adulteration. Strands of dyed gelatin or corn silk have also been used. True saffron is derived from the stigmas of the crocus sativus plant (top).
http://spicesanctuary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/will-real-saffron-please-stand-up.html

So -- have either you or @Shermie ever tasted real saffron?

Back
Top Bottom