Has tableware got bigger?

Check the numbers on the side of glasses, as well as if there's a line on the glass. All should have the numbers, not all have a line marked.
View attachment 13114
View attachment 13115
Just above the line
CAM00776- negative.jpg

CAM00777-negative.jpg

For the full list of numbers
http://math.colorado.edu/~rmg/pint/DTISTAMP.pdf

The first mug I ever saw was on the Coronation of QEll, all we children were given one and a tea plate. I have no idea where mine might have gone.

I use side plates from which to eat my meals, they are 10" in diameter and the rim is 1" wide so the eating area is 8" and that is sufficient food for a meal for my appetite. I used to use large mugs for my tea but lately I seem to get stomach cramps after drinking it so, for the time being, I have stopped. I now have Pukka Three Ginger tea and various others by the same maker; they are all organic so, in theory, should be good for me.

The first mug I ever saw was on the Coronation of QEll,

Ah, that is interesting. I have a coronation teacup and saucer but not a mug. A quick google reveals there are quite a few coronation mug designs:

s-l640.jpg

The size of the above is listed as:
3 1/4" high; 4 3/8" across top including handle
Made by: British Pottery, England

So I just went and measured some of the mugs here (I'm at my friend's) and only one of them seems to be approximately that size - the rest are considerably bigger (the one on the right is approximately the same):

Photo on 27-01-2018 at 16.19 #3.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure if mine was the same design but I know that I never used it to drink tea from, we had cups and saucers for that! I expect it was kept as a souvenir in a cupboard.

(love your hair colour!)

I am not sure if mine was the same design but I know that I never used it to drink tea from, we had cups and saucers for that! I expect it was kept as a souvenir in a cupboard.

(love your hair colour!)

Well the teacup I have was my Mother's and we certainly never drank from it! I can't remember the Coronation although I believe there is a photo somewhere of me at a street party. Do you remember it?

As for my hair its a royal (!) pain in the something or other to keep it that colour. Much easier to go silver blonde!

Last edited:
I do remember it, at least the street party - all the tables were set out up the hill (Wales has a lot of those) and all the parents helped to set it up and serve everyone. Women provided their own embroidered tablecloths and various crockery and cutlery. The food was all donated from homes (I am not sure how because there was still a lot of food rationing after the war). It was a beautifully sunny day and we all had a marvellous time. My uncle had bought a Bush TV for the occasion and the family all crowded around its tiny screen to see the ceremony - such excitement! I was seven years old.

My hair is short because I can't cope with anything longer than it is in my Avatar.

I was only a few months old when Her Majesty was officially crowned. She was actually Queen since her father's death the previous year. I frequently introduce myself as "Elizabeth or Your Majesty". Good for a quick laugh. People tend to remember my name.

I've got a couple of the Oxo tins that were produced at the time of the coronation. I think they held 12 Oxo cubes. One is in my old sewing box and holds a load of needles, but I haven't a clue where the other one is, although I know it is in the house somewhere. (Photo courtesy of Etsy)
il_340x270_984657698_8iur.jpg

On the day of the coronation, Mum and Dad took me up to London to see some of the procession. I spent quite a time sitting on my Dad's shoulders, otherwise I wouldn't have seen a thing. Later we had a seat in one of the stands put up opposite Buckingham Palace. There was a party the next day for everyone in our area. I won first prize in the fancy dress competition.

Back
Top Bottom