The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:19 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1023.JPG

This is a recipe that took a few twists and turns to get to where it ended up. I had never heard of Hasselback Potatoes until a 12-year-old on Top Chef Junior prepared something that way. The technique involves slicing the potato almost all the way through at even intervals. I filed that away for future reference until I saw a bin of baby eggplant at the local fruit and vegetable market. I immediately wondered if I could do the same thing with them. I decided to leave the stem on, both for visual appeal and to hold them together.

IMG_1019.JPG

The Hasselback technique usually involves peeling the potato and then squaring it off so the sections are relatively even. I figured it would work on an oblong shape. Because I decided to leave the stem on, I was able to slice all the way through, since the stem side held the eggplant together.

The technique also involves jamming the gaps with something. In my case, I used a basil pesto I had made previously.

IMG_1020.JPG

Now then...what to put in the pan? A traditional eggplant parmesan involves slicing the eggplant into discs, breading them, frying them in a pan, and finishing off with a red sauce. I had the eggplant at a 90 degree angle to where it usually is, but I figured it would work if I oiled the pan and then brushed the eggplant with oil.

SIDE NOTE: I have seen some recipes that call for drizzling oil on the thing you're baking. I have always thought this was a bad technique because the oil is applied inconsistently (some pieces get it, and other are bare). As a result, I am not a drizzler. :cool:

IMG_1021.JPG

Finally, I made a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano, and thyme and set the pans under the broiler.

IMG_1022.JPG

To be honest, I was concerned that the pesto would melt and end up in a puddle underneath the eggplant. I considered rotating the eggplant 90 degrees, but I wanted the breadcrumb mixture to get embedded in the gaps. As it turned out, the pesto mixture stayed put and baked into the flesh of the eggplant.

The final product wasn't as fantastic as I first expected. But, after adding a dash of salt, it was brought up to where I hoped it would be. This tells me that I should have salted the eggplant earlier in the process, so that's part of the recipe. Not bad!

Ingredients

12 baby eggplant of similar sizes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces / 115 g basil pesto
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C.

2. Wash eggplant. Leaving the stems on, cut each eggplant at 1/4" intervals so the eggplant stays connected by the stem. Sprinkle inside the gaps with salt.

3. Spread pesto evenly in the gaps of each eggplant.

4. Brush a high-walled baking pan or casserole pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place eggplants in the pan. Brush the remaining olive oil over the skin of the eggplants.

5. Cover baking pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender.

6. Blend breadcrumbs, cheese, and thyme and set aside.

7. Turn on the broiler. Remove the foil from the baking pan. Rotate the eggplants so the gaps are facing upward. Sprinkle each eggplant with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the breadcrumbs are browned.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Brilliant adaptation. It never would occurred to me to hassle back eggplant. For a while I was on a hassle back potato kick. Both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes.

The pesto is a stroke of genius. I would be tempted to stuff the slits with minced crawfish or shrimp in an etouffee sauce and finish with the bread crumbs and Parmesan.

I enjoy eggplant on it's own but really like using as a vehicle or platform for something else.

I would be tempted to stuff the slits with minced crawfish or shrimp in an etouffee sauce and finish with the bread crumbs and Parmesan.

I enjoy eggplant on it's own but really like using as a vehicle or platform for something else.
To be honest, when I saw I was running low on pesto, I started thinking of something else to stuff into the remaining slits. I have some homemade chorizo that I think would have worked really well. Now, you've given me some other great ideas!

View attachment 12107

This is a recipe that took a few twists and turns to get to where it ended up. I had never heard of Hasselback Potatoes until a 12-year-old on Top Chef Junior prepared something that way. The technique involves slicing the potato almost all the way through at even intervals. I filed that away for future reference until I saw a bin of baby eggplant at the local fruit and vegetable market. I immediately wondered if I could do the same thing with them. I decided to leave the stem on, both for visual appeal and to hold them together.

View attachment 12108

The Hasselback technique usually involves peeling the potato and then squaring it off so the sections are relatively even. I figured it would work on an oblong shape. Because I decided to leave the stem on, I was able to slice all the way through, since the stem side held the eggplant together.

The technique also involves jamming the gaps with something. In my case, I used a basil pesto I had made previously.

View attachment 12109

Now then...what to put in the pan? A traditional eggplant parmesan involves slicing the eggplant into discs, breading them, frying them in a pan, and finishing off with a red sauce. I had the eggplant at a 90 degree angle to where it usually is, but I figured it would work if I oiled the pan and then brushed the eggplant with oil.

SIDE NOTE: I have seen some recipes that call for drizzling oil on the thing you're baking. I have always thought this was a bad technique because the oil is applied inconsistently (some pieces get it, and other are bare). As a result, I am not a drizzler. :cool:

View attachment 12111

Finally, I made a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano, and thyme and set the pans under the broiler.

View attachment 12112

To be honest, I was concerned that the pesto would melt and end up in a puddle underneath the eggplant. I considered rotating the eggplant 90 degrees, but I wanted the breadcrumb mixture to get embedded in the gaps. As it turned out, the pesto mixture stayed put and baked into the flesh of the eggplant.

The final product wasn't as fantastic as I first expected. But, after adding a dash of salt, it was brought up to where I hoped it would be. This tells me that I should have salted the eggplant earlier in the process, so that's part of the recipe. Not bad!

Ingredients

12 baby eggplant of similar sizes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces / 115 g basil pesto
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C.

2. Wash eggplant. Leaving the stems on, cut each eggplant at 1/4" intervals so the eggplant stays connected by the stem. Sprinkle inside the gaps with salt.

3. Spread pesto evenly in the gaps of each eggplant.

4. Brush a high-walled baking pan or casserole pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place eggplants in the pan. Brush the remaining olive oil over the skin of the eggplants.

5. Cover baking pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender.

6. Blend breadcrumbs, cheese, and thyme and set aside.

7. Turn on the broiler. Remove the foil from the baking pan. Rotate the eggplants so the gaps are facing upward. Sprinkle each eggplant with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the breadcrumbs are browned.

Looks nice!

I see that you don't use any tomato sauce in this recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice!

I see that you don't use any tomato sauce in this recipe.
Two reasons for that: 1) I wanted to see if I could make it taste good like that; 2) I didn't have any on hand, and I didn't feel like making any :laugh:

But, point of fact, while it was good, I did miss the marinara.

Those are more than likely Indian eggplants. When we grew regular eggplant, the "baby" ones didn't taste right.
I believe you're right, though they were labeled "baby eggplant" at my market. After some searching, I found this: "Baby eggplants are sometimes marketed as Indian eggplant and Patio eggplant".

Back
Top Bottom