Recipe Hasselback Butternut Squash

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
3:39 AM
I made this yesterday for the first time. There are a couple of things I would change so I’ll write it including the adjustments I would make.

1 butternut squash
100gm of butter, softened
1 Tbls sesame seeds
1 Tbls pepitas, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper

2 x skewers or chopsticks

Peel the whole squash - this was certainly the most challenging part for me.
Cut in half lengthwise & scoop out seeds.
Lay face down on a board and lay a skewer on either side to prevent the knife going all the way through. Then slice squash cross ways. Lift squash gently to open the leaves.

Preheat oven to 180°c with fan

Make a mild garlic butter seasoned with salt & pepper, then brush the squash all over, using roughly half, trying to get some into the gaps.

Bake for one hour.

Meanwhile lightly toast seeds & mix into remaining garlic butter.

Remove from squash from oven. Brush with the the seeded butter and bake for 15 minutes more or until you get some colour on the squash but not burning the seeds.

We had this as a side for roast chicken.

I’m going to use this recipe to do 3 squash next time I cater for a family gathering - cooling & refrigerating after the first hour of baking.

9892D6AF-E254-460A-AE9E-0A33AF8C7F50.jpeg

What a great idea to make hasslelback squash. I like the use of the seeds here too. A lot of recipes suggest not peeling the squash (it certainly is a pain!) but for this particular recipe I don't think that would work.

You could put the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes, cool then peel & slice. This would make it much easier I think.

Back
Top Bottom