Have U ever eaten in a Michelin Star Restaurant? Experience?

As soon as I read your first post, I knew exactly what you were talking about. The chefs at some places are excellent technicians: what they create are works of art, but they don't have a soul. They're missing the love and the joy that should be a part of food.

Unfortunately, the closest Michelin Stared restaurant to me is in Chicago, and I haven't had the inclination to drive the 4+ hours to eat at one. I've eaten at James Beard Award-winning restaurants several times; the James Beard Award is arguably the most prestigious award for American restaurants. Those experiences were uniformly excellent.

I am in total agreement.
Texas will never IMO be in "The Guide" but the past few years the James Beard people have been keen on the state's young Chefs.
My fave.... http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/a-james-beard-for-barbecue/

@The Late Night Gourmet, & @bluejeanbaby,

As you are aware, this is a farily frequent occurance in my professional life and I have to say, I have not experienced " technicians without souls ".

The Veterans of the three Michelin Status: Chef Ducasse, Chef Gagnaire, Chef Michel Bras, and Chef Joan Roca amongst many others, are totally humble, amazingly social and spectacular food designers and authors. I have never had a negative experience in a Michelin star restaurant, be it a one or two or three star venue ..

I know the Press Director of The James Beard Foundation in Manhattan´s Greenwich Village and I also receive his newsletters and event lists .. He had personally recommended some restaurants to me during my 3 trips to Manhattan for a Tourism & Travel Convention ..

Have a nice weekend and all my best ..

The Veterans of the three Michelin Status: Chef Ducasse, Chef Gagnaire, Chef Michel Bras, and Chef Joan Roca amongst many others, are totally humble, amazingly social and spectacular food designers and authors. I have never had a negative experience in a Michelin star restaurant, be it a one or two or three star venue ..
I think modern dining is starting to shake off the notion that food can be either fun or elegant, but not both. I remember when it used to be that fine dining meant terrible service. It was an accepted notion that it was a privilege for you to eat at some restaurants, and a rude waiter or waitress or having to wait forever to eat were expected. It was a "the emperor has no clothes" situation, where people at fine dining restaurants had to pretend that what they were having was so amazing, because the presentation was so fancy, and because you were paying a small fortune to experience it.

Somewhere along the way, chefs realized that the dining experience is about more than just the food. If the service is good, you'll enjoy the food more. And, even though I've seen chefs try using crazy ingredients (lavender on smoked trout comes to mind), for the most part I've had phenomenal experiences that result from high quality ingredients and attention to detail, and I have no doubt about the passion that went into the food.

@The Late Night Gourmet,

The Michelin Starred Veteran French Cuisiniers, particulary are extremely well trained in the techniques of the culinary arts, and furthermore, the art of the Business Side, (negotiating & sales & marketing), Management sectors of the hospitality industry & of course, customer / clientel services ..

The waiters that I have experienced are also extraordinarily prepared in their specialty as well, and speak no less tan 3 or 4 foreign languages, and are not stuck up nor do they deliver cold food to the table .. The Veteran Chefs would never put up with this negative attitude ..

I agree with your last paragraph about the dining experience is more than just food .. And my experiences have demonstrated, alot more than just food was delivered .. The Chefs had personally delivered plates to the table too .. And of course, took a moment to tell my tour group, what they were going to eat in excellent English and / or asked me to translate if they did not speak English .. or they had their Mâtire translate .. And they were just amazing wonderful ..

Wild Smoked Trout with wild uncultivated lavender herb, is not uncommon in Provençe !

It is a local product .. And provides an incredibly gorgeous aromatic touch to a wild smoked river fish .. or ocean fish as well ..

Lavender is commonly used also in Provençal desserts and tarts ( a bizcocho of almond flour or a wheat flour sponge) and especially with vanilla, honey &
and Yogurt ..

Have a lovely weekend ..
Heading over to The Southwestern corner of France from the Basque Country ..
Will be home the 20th and then I will be off again to Carcassone, over the Pyrenées on the 22nd ..

Last edited:
Wild Smoked Trout with wild uncultivated lavender herb, is not uncommon in Provençe !

It is a local product .. And provides an incredibly gorgeous aromatic touch to a wild smoked river fish .. or ocean fish as well ..

Lavender is commonly used also in Provençal desserts and tarts ( a bizcocho of almond flour or a wheat flour sponge) and especially with vanilla, honey &
and Yogurt ..
Maybe the chef was too heavy-handed with the lavender. Or maybe my palate just wasn't prepared to appreciate it. :yuck:

Maybe the chef was too heavy-handed with the lavender. Or maybe my palate just wasn't prepared to appreciate it. :yuck:

I hadn't come across the fish combo before but a quick Google reveals a lot of recipes. Lavender is closely related to rosemary so it will go with most things that rosemary goes with. But if too much is used it can taste soapy and really quite sickly. So may be that was the problem, as you say.

Back
Top Bottom