Have you been storing your cheese all wrong?

I usually keep cheese in whatever packaging it came in (or wrap it in the same type), although I have in the past wrapped it in a heavy grade greaseproof/parchment paper but found it dried out before I finished the cheese. Cheddar cheese wrapped in resealable plastic pouches seems to sweat if you can't get it in the fridge PDQ. In fact some the milkman delivered the other morning was decidedly soft - it had only been out of his van fridge for a few minutes before I put it in my fridge - although the weather was pretty much hotter than usual. At one time (about 50 years ago) all cheese was cut and then wrapped in brown paper which used to keep it pretty well. I can't recall whether that paper was waxed, but I know we didn't even have a fridge. Mum used to buy her cheese weekly. The longest I have ever kept Cheddar cheese was about six months - It was a catering pack which took up most of the width and half the depth of my fridge (a quarter or more of a whole Cheddar cheese). It was bought in a block, came direct from the dairy where it was manufactured, and was wrapped in thick polythene. and it kept really well - much better than the small pieces you buy in a supermarket - and only had a slight white bloom on it at the end of the six months. I occasionally buy other hard cheeses and they are kept in the same packaging they came in. Other than that, I often make paneer/ricotta/cottage type cheeses as and when I need them, as these only last a few days at most. But you have reminded me I have a nice chunk of Stilton ripening in the fridge.....

Mine is stored (and frozen) in it's original packaging. It's normally in 250 gm lumps and it I don't use it all after defrosting I store the remainder in these handy little containers which sometimes come free with butter. The container then goes into the top chiller shelf of the fridge.

butter container.jpg

I store my mozzarella di bufala, Ricotta and goat cheeses and Goat cheese Feta and Queso de Burgos ( a soft cow cheese which I buy fresh ) in the salad compartment of the refrigerator .. as well as all fresh cheeses or soft cheeses.

The semi hard cheeses, which are wrapped in a special cheese paper ( 1 side is waxed ) are placed on the shelf above the salad draw.

With cured / aged cheeses, I place them in a pantry where one needs a sweater to enter ! The packaging is a special cheese paper ( 1 side is waxed ).

I do not over buy cheeses. They are a staple when we are both home, for a cheese course instead of dessert, which is very common .. I also take the cheeses out and let them un-chill to room temperature prior to slicing and placing on a board of Wood or Black Slate Stone ..

Back
Top Bottom