Have you eaten brains?

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
4:14 PM
Question: who here have eaten brain? Did you like it, or does it make you nauseous just thinking about it, lol. I've made it once and had it out a few times and I'm thinking of putting in on the menu for an appetizer. We buy our beef (complete carcass) locally from a farm and trying to utilize more of the animal.

Question: who here have eaten brain? Did you like it, or does it make you nauseous just thinking about it, lol. I've made it once and had it out a few times and I'm thinking of putting in on the menu for an appetizer. We buy our beef (complete carcass) locally from a farm and trying to utilize more of the animal.

I have eaten it but so long ago I barely remember. It was in France and I can only recall they didn't taste strong at all.

Last edited:
Yes, I have, mainly squirrel brains (with scrambled eggs, used to be a common dish around here), and fried brain sandwiches (battered and pan-fried, like schnitzel) are something of a specialty in Kentucky, so I’ve had those before, when I was a kid.

That said, I wouldn’t order them now. It was never a case where I thought, “Boy, these are some good brains!”

I had some cow brain as an appetizer in a fancy beef restaurant in Tokyo, but neither my wife nor I can remember what it tasted like. We only remember the texture was somewhere between pudding and jello. Like a savory pudding I guess...

Eggs and brains - Wikipedia

I also remember that you could buy them canned, because my grandad loved them, and when he could have them fresh, he’d get the canned ones.

That link says pork brains, but it was always squirrel brains when I was a kid.

Here you go, and it looks like you can order them from Amazon:

Amazon

Yeah, probably a hard sell. I made the traditional brown butter with caper recipe. After poaching which included many spices and herbs it was drained, dried and then dredged in seasoned flour and shallow fried in brown butter, and it was pretty good, much like sweet breads.

Well, I'd certainly order that. But I'm probably not your average customer. I've heard before that it tastes like sweetbreads (thymus gland)

I nor any of my family have eaten brains. However, a common broth my Mom made us drink when we were young was from cow's brain. It wasn't bad. She couldn't force us when we got older so that stopped.

Back
Top Bottom