Have you ever cooked over at a friend's house with no gadgets to work with?

I had only known my first husband for a few days when he asked me if I would go over to his house on the Sunday and cook a meal for a us and a couple of his friends. Apart from the fact that "couple" was an understatement - there were at least eight other people - all that was in the kitchen was a couple of saucepans, table cutlery, and plates - not even a roasting dish. I had also never used an electric cooker before. The grill pan was scrubbed clean and used to roast the joint of meat and potatoes in, and the other saucepans were used for the other vegetables. It was fun trying to carve meat with an ordinary knife too, but somehow the meal was a success.

I don't have the dishwasher now. I wash the dishes by hand now.

I had 4 small children (3 boys & a baby girl) over for a week. They helped keep the apt. clean, even though they would mess up the living room floor with their own blankets that the slept on at night.

When it came to doing the dishes, I let one of them wash them for me. Boy!! That was a mistake! I had to tell them in a nice way that I will wash the dishes when they're here! The glasses were nasty! Told them that I'm a clean person and that nastiness in this apartment is not allowed!

So I wash the dishes, because small children won't wash dishes the way that YOU would! I told them that I always leave the kitchen clean after each & every meal. The eldest child is always rushing me when I'm about to take them somewhere. <My reply is" Not before the kitchen and the rest of the house is clean."

He gets mad at me and gives me dirty looks. Too bad. Deal with it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom