1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever made a soufflé?

Discussion in 'Eggs, Cheese and Dairy' started by morning glory, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Soufflés have a reputation for being tricky to make and regularly feature as desserts on Masterchef - often the aim in the latter case is to achieve a 'molten' centre. But of course, soufflés can be savoury or sweet, although it seems to me that the savoury type (usually served as a starter) has fallen out of fashion.

Have you ever made a soufflé? And if not, why not?

Kake Lover likes this.
  2. medtran49

medtran49 Senior Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Yep, mostly savory though, using cheddar or blue cheese. I've made Emeril's chocolate souffles several times, but only made the chocolate sauce served in his restaurants with them once, as it's just too much chocolate for me and Craig. They are individual ones and can be frozen, though they don't puff up quite as much as when freshly made and baked.

I've been thinking about trying to recreate 1 I had long ago. It was a vanilla based one with tiny pieces of chocolate suspended in the souffle. It was the first souffle I ever had so I'm not sure if it was that or the taste or a combo that has made me remember it all these years, probably around 25.

3. morning glory

I like the idea of blue cheese soufflé. :hungry: I think I made a spinach soufflé back in the 70's sometime but other than that I have only made one soufflé. Delia Smith's twice cooked molten chocolate soufflé - which is pretty foolproof.

Sounds tricky! Of course you are right though - it could have been the newbie tastebuds! I do sometimes wonder if things I thought were amazing 30 or 40 years ago would taste as good now,

4. Shermie

Shermie Senior Member

I once made cheese soufflé before. The trick is that you must be extra careful when beating the egg whites Care has to be taken to avoid collapsing, as the mixture will fall very easily.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Kake Lover likes this.
  5. epicuric

epicuric Senior Member Staff Member

Yes, but not for a few years. I think the last one I made was a chocolate souffle, but that would be a bit too sweet for me now. I wonder if a rhubarb souffle would work?

Kake Lover likes this.
  6. morning glory

That would be delicious.

Kake Lover and Shermie like this.
  7. medtran49

medtran49 Senior Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Well, I know for a fact some things don't. When I was staying with Craig's brother before he passed, he wanted to try some foods he remembered fondly from childhood/teenage-hood. We ended up getting takeout for those couple of nights for dinner before he decided that was probably not a good idea.

Kake Lover likes this.
  8. Shermie

Shermie Senior Member

I think that the possibilities are endless. :wink:

Kake Lover likes this.
  9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

My wife's few faves is twice cooked soufflé with cheddar cheese. I've got the recipe that I want but havnt as yet made it. It's not far away. Might even have one myself.

Russ

Kake Lover likes this.
  10. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member

I have (had? I wonder if I still have it?) a recipe for a broccoli soufflé that we used to make a lot. It was surprisingly easy to make.

Kake Lover and rascal like this.
  11. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Think I'll stick with the cheddar,lol. Although I make a cauli broccoli cheese bake, and everyone loves that.

Russ

12. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

This was so far buried in my To Do List that I forgot it was even there. So, I'm very interested in both sweet and savory applications...and something like a Cook Along to push me in that direction. :wink:

morning glory and Kake Lover like this.
  13. Shermie

Shermie Senior Member

Julia Child used to do it. I would need a soufflé dish first. :wink:

14. Kake Lover

Kake Lover Senior Member Staff Member

Cook a long souffle?

I've made one sweet one (chocolate) and one savoury (cauliflower cheese) .
    I have a lovely souffle dish which was a wedding present and one day I thought I should actually use it for the purpose it was designed for!

Maybe it's time to make it again.

15. morning glory

You can use any sort of oven proof dish I think - long as it is round with straight sides.

Last edited: May 15, 2018