Have you ever made sourdough bread?

Sourdough culture is something I've never made. I keep intending to do so, but to be frank I'm afraid of the responsibility! Apparently its like aI'm t which needs feeding every day. And if you go away you have to find a sourdough hotel to look after it for you (yes there are such places).

I've tried it years ago so long ago I was a teenager still in high school I wanted to make my own bread so I did the research and started. I believe this was before I even transfered highschools to the one that had culinary arts. I tried French bread first off failed bake then even making a cake in the box was a challenge for me.

Sourdough is my favorite bread of all times so I did try to make it. It's nothing to be scared of just do your research and be dedicated and safe and it should turn out fine. Mine didn't but that was because I was a horrible baker i'm sure you won't be. Now I'm decent baker thank God lol. I'm going to try sourdough again in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sourdough is one type of bread I've never mastered - I've tried a couple of times but I've never actually managed to make a good starter :eek:
Anyone have any (preferably foolproof) instructions on how to get one going?

I can never get how much of the starter you should use. some of the recipes I have just list sourdough starter in the ingredients, while others also have a footnote to say carry on feeding the remainder as per instructions, but none of them give a quantity.

Good idea - if we get enough takers. I know @SatNavSaysStraightOn makes sourdough and @The Late Night Gourmet makes a quich sourdough (did I remember that right @The Late Night Gourmet?) so both might be interested.
I can see a "bread cookalong" having enough support, since there are so many different kinds of bread, and most are simple enough that anyone can give it a try. But, it's not my forum, either. All I can say is that I'd take part in it every month.

:chef:

I can see a "bread cookalong" having enough support, since there are so many different kinds of bread, and most are simple enough that anyone can give it a try. But, it's not my forum, either. All I can say is that I'd take part in it every month.

:chef:
I was thinking more of a masterclass (using a single recipe) than a cookalong (where we all use our own receipes)....ie. someone is "teacher" (any vounteers?) who gives the instructions and the rest of us follow the instructions and report back on our progress and any problems we've had. At the end we can all describe and/or photograph our results so we can compare them. I guess there's not many things that would suit this kind of approach, but I think something like making a sourdough starter then a loaf of bread with it would work quite well.

Last edited:
I have just made my first loaf of sourdough bread completely from scratch. I must say it came out a lot better than I thought it would for a first attempt and is delicious :D

First sourdough loaf.jpg

First sourdough loaf2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom