Have you ever made sourdough bread?

The one I use is nothing like that one :D No throwing anything away, for a start, unless you try to murder it, and even then it can be resuscitated :laugh:

That's unusual. Almost all sourdough recipes seem to involve removing some of the mix and then adding more flour/water.

That's unusual. Almost all sourdough recipes seem to involve removing some of the mix and then adding more flour/water.
I've only scan read this but getting a starter going doesn't involve throwing away starter until it is established. Then feeding it daily is the norm, either using up or throwing away excess starter. Sooner or later you need to dispose of excess somehow.

I've only scan read this but getting a starter going doesn't involve throwing away starter until it is established. Then feeding it daily is the norm, either using up or throwing away excess starter. Sooner or later you need to dispose of excess somehow.

Oh - OK. So if you use it up by baking then no need to throw bits of it away?

I've been saying this for over two years: 'I must make sourdough'. Now is the time! :)
I like it because it's so easy. Couple of step over the course of a couple of days, bake and you've a very nice loaf of bread! You can even prove your dough in the fridge overnight, ready to bake the following morning.

I like it because it's so easy. Couple of step over the course of a couple of days, bake and you've a very nice loaf of bread! You can even prove your dough in the fridge overnight, ready to bake the following morning.

Its the 'looking after it' that has put me off in the past. I already have one pet too many! But if it really is this simple then I must bite the bullet and do it.

Its the 'looking after it' that has put me off in the past. I already have one pet too many! But if it really is this simple then I must bite the bullet and do it.
You can put it on hold by putting it in the fridge and not opening or feeding it for months on end of needed. That's where mine is at the moment.
When you want to use it, just bring it out a few days in advance (ideally but not totally necessary as I have established), feed it and let it be happy for a few days, then use it, and refresh it and put the starter back in the fridge until it is needed again.

Sounds like an ideal pet...:laugh:
Yep and cheaper than chickens! Just had a quote to get an implant in one of my chooks who I need to stop laying eggs (she's 4 and they always break in the cage). The concern is that one may break inside her which can kill very quickly. The quote has come back at $330 but at least they knew of the implant which is a good start. Most vets don't. It seems one of them had just taken a poultry course so we do now have a vet with some knowledge of chickens!

I'd nearly used up the bread I had in the freezer, so a couple of days ago I woke up my sourdough starter. Sunday I made a large half and half loaf using my breadmaker, and started making 2 large sourdough loaves, which are now proving overnight in the fridge, ready for baking in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom