Have you ever pressure-cooked a fresh pork shoulder to speed up the process?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:41 AM
I've always thought about it, but never did it that way.

I usually always slow cook it in the on slow. It gets done. But I've always wondered if parboiling it is the pressure cooker would save some cooking time. What do you think? :wink:

It might. I usually do mine in the oven or slow cooker.

So do I.

I even did it in the toaster oven! That was a thick slice of it though. Some butchers will slice it up for you, making it easier to cook in portions, rather than whole. :wink:

Our mom used to parboil it for about an hour, then finish it in the oven, take off the skin & fat and put some BBQ sauce all over it. :wink:

Last edited:
I would have though parboiling would take out a lot of the fat that you need to keep it moist. Low and slow in the oven works for me - usually 4 to 6 hours depending on the size. Why rush it?

I would have though parboiling would take out a lot of the fat that you need to keep it moist. Low and slow in the oven works for me - usually 4 to 6 hours depending on the size. Why rush it?

Either way, it is going to get done. I think that next time, I'll get a small one, so that there isn't much waste. Wouldn't want to spend all week eating it. :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom