Hay Box Cooking

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:56 AM
Anyone else made one or used one. The "original" slow cooker.
Hay Box.jpeg

http://www.scouts.sa.scouts.com.au/pages/730489

Last edited:
Yep... I have several threads on it as well. Or replies on threads. Use them a lot with a wheatbag and a towel instead (easier to obtain for most people than hay/straw though I can easily access those at the moment). They are exceptionally good for using to prove dough but I have never tried cooking anything in them (other than the idea of potatoes after a campfire and burying them in the sand). Mind you if, I do leave for Australia I may get far more opportunity to try it out!

You have to be careful with thermal cooking as the temperature can fall into the bacteria multiplication danger zone,
A while ago I posted about a boat set up being demonstrated at a boat show ,great bit of kit,
I was showed how to use the hay box system at the army school of catering in the 80s it was used a lot for units moving around

Wow, I never heard of anything like this. When we were girlscouts we used to use "buddy burners" these were coffee cans turned upside down that we used as a stove. We made bacon and eggs usually on the cookers. We also made bacon and eggs in a bag...I had forgotten all about that haha until I saw your hay burner. I also know of people who use the warmth of sand to keep clay pots warm ie for baked beans.

What a great idea. I never heard of this before but it makes perfect sense. It would be an awesome idea when you are camping and you have activities planned all day. You can still go out and do them and have a nice meal when you get back to your site. It is better then having to sit around a fire all day waiting for your meal to cook. I may have to try this during our next camping season.

Wow, I never heard of anything like this. When we were girlscouts we used to use "buddy burners" these were coffee cans turned upside down that we used as a stove. We made bacon and eggs usually on the cookers. We also made bacon and eggs in a bag...I had forgotten all about that haha until I saw your hay burner. I also know of people who use the warmth of sand to keep clay pots warm ie for baked beans.
Have you boiled water in a paper bag though?

NO, I have not...but my nephews may have..They are both Eagle Scouts. They have been on many many boy scout camping trips. I would think they have done something like this before. I will ask my sister she might know. I dropped out of scouts after the 6th grade. I think I should have stayed with it though...Maybe the next lesson was boiling water in a bag!

When I was a girl, I remember going to the house of my grandfather in the province. They have no stove (although the popular stove at that time was the electric). What they have was the cooking device that was actually an emply paint can gallon. They would place a lead pipe in the middle and fill the can with saw dust. When the saw dust had settled, the lead pipe was pulled out slowly to leave a hole in center. That's where they would put the paper to light up the sawdust. The pot or pan is placed on top and the cooking goes for more than 30 minutes with a continuous orange ember of the slow burning sawdust.

Back
Top Bottom