Hello, Diane here

I would just like to tell eveyone how much I'm enjoying this forum. I've been reading lots of posts, just to get to know people and get up to speed on the dynamic of the group. I find myself wanting to reply to posts that are years old. I am absolutely delighted to have found this place.

I would just like to tell eveyone how much I'm enjoying this forum. I've been reading lots of posts, just to get to know people and get up to speed on the dynamic of the group. I find myself wanting to reply to posts that are years old. I am absolutely delighted to have found this place.
If you feel like replying, why don't you? The other option would be to ask a similar question again.

If you feel like replying, why don't you? The other option would be to ask a similar question again.
I would hate to start a new thread on a subject that had already been done to death. That's why I'm reading the old things; to see what subjects have earlier been covered. And I'd feel silly replying to a post from 2012.

I would hate to start a new thread on a subject that had already been done to death. That's why I'm reading the old things; to see what subjects have earlier been covered. And I'd feel silly replying to a post from 2012.
From the site's point of view it is better to start new threads than resurrect old, dead ones, so please, just start a new thread if the other thread is that old especially if it is no longer on the first page of results in the forum you are in. This is just the way it works with Google and other search engines sadly, so don't worry about it. New threads keep the site alive.

Welcome @Dianemwj! I'm pleased to see another expert on food and wine. I'm here to learn from a lot of you who know your craft. My third daughter studied Commercial Cookery Cert III. He expertise put my traditional cooking terms put certified names into them. :happy:

Hi Diane and welcome.
We've already crossed paths but as I don't often visit this Intro forum, I've only just found this. Am interested in your line of work - how have you managed to learn about wine if nobody lets you taste it?!
As you might have guessed by my avatar and sig line, I have a major interest in the subject!

Hi Diane and welcome.
We've already crossed paths but as I don't often visit this Intro forum, I've only just found this. Am interested in your line of work - how have you managed to learn about wine if nobody lets you taste it?!
As you might have guessed by my avatar and sig line, I have a major interest in the subject!
My job is inventory control. I must account for every bottle that we receive from the warehouse and every bottle that the sommeliers order from the wine vault. I don't need to know what the wine tastes like, that's the territory of the sommeliers. Think of me as an accountant who keeps track of the money, but doesn't get to spend it.

My job is inventory control. I must account for every bottle that we receive from the warehouse and every bottle that the sommeliers order from the wine vault. I don't need to know what the wine tastes like, that's the territory of the sommeliers. Think of me as an accountant who keeps track of the money, but doesn't get to spend it.
Thank you, now I understand. Shame your work area is not more likeable. Agree you don't need to know what it tastes like but happy to hear you have learned much and show some interest in the subject. At any one time, approximately how many bottles are in your vault?

Thank you, now I understand. Shame your work area is not more likeable. Agree you don't need to know what it tastes like but happy to hear you have learned much and show some interest in the subject. At any one time, approximately how many bottles are in your vault?
I'm not really sure how many bottles we have precisely. Several thousand, I believe. The inventory is constantly changing as the wine director removes slow sellers and adds new wines to the Master Wine List. We only keep a par of three bottles of each wine. The various venues are supposed to order their restock of wine and any anticipated needs of large parties from the warehouse. The wine vault is only open at night after the warehouse has closed and our purpose is to act as back-up in case the venue runs out of stock or a guest requests a wine not on the wine list of the restaurant. If a venue orders all three bottles of a particular wine and then another calls later for the same wine, I can check the computer to see if any other venue has the wine in stock. I hate to say it, but we do have some hoarders amongst the sommeliers. So if one restaurant needs a wine and I can see that another has 10 bottles socked away I let the first sommelier know and then the two of them can fight it out.

Welcome Dianemwj.
I used to feel the same way, but you have been told already. Don't stress it, just dive in. I think I am going to need some wine lessons by the way.

You are welcome. Thanks for joining us to do what you love most, cooking. I know that you will enjoy being in this forum. Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom