Help choose the subject of the next Cookalong

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:18 AM
The Tarte Tatin Cookalong has been very creative with delicious looking results. A big thanks to Elawin, Sandra, SatNavSaysStraightOn and Herbie who all participated. There were 5 participants in total (including myself).

We now need to decide a new recipe/dish/technique to cook along to.

So far we have chosen dishes from: France (Coq au Vin, Boeuf/Mushroom Bourguignon and Tarte Tatin), Spain (Paella), Italy (Ravioli), Middle East (Falafel), Russia/USA (Chicken Kiev) , Hungary (Goulash).

The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be reasonably specific not generic - not ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ for example. Here are some previous suggestions plus a few I've added which have been mentioned in various threads recently:

Bagels (V)
Jambalaya (could be V)
Spanakopita (we haven’t had a Greek dish so far - other suggestions welcome) (V)
Fesenjan (Persian Chicken dish - can be made V)
Home-made cheese (can be V)
Dim Sum (Chinese dumplings) (can be V)
British pie - Steak and kidney pie or pudding. (A vegan/vegetarian version could be made with mushrooms and chestnuts, for example).

Please feel free to express your preference for any of the above or add a new suggestion.

Dim Sim are highly versatile and would be a lovely choice for non vegetarians or non vegans ..

The fillings are totally diversifed ranging from the sea, to the land, the forest, the plains and the countryside or even one´s garden ..

I have eaten and enjoyed Dim Sum. Never even considered making it so that would be a nice challenge. British Pie - again I have eaten the real deal in London but never prepared it. Another interesting challenge. Of course I will vote for Jambalaya because I know that like the back of my hand. Kind of an unfair advantage. Home made cheese is on my Bucket List so bring it on.

Of course I will vote for Jambalaya because I know that like the back of my hand.
No allowed - the challenge is about learning... :laugh:

Of course, there will always be something that one or other of us is better at. If so then they can help mentor the cookalong. For example, I think @medtran49 is a bit more experienced than us with the Dim Sum.

I'll be happy to help with dim sum. I've figured out some tips and things to make them easier to make over the years, and have been meaning to take pics of the premade wrappers to send to morningglory to help with sourcing over there, just haven't yet.

Dim sum: These ancient Silk Route " Cantonese " appetisers come in an extraordinarily enormous variety ..

They can be made with:
1) Wheat Flour
2) Rice Flour
3) Pork Skin

Served in a variety of ways including:
3) Small plates ..
4) Bamboo Baskets ..

Some Types:
5) There are dumplings, buns, rolled, and dessert dim sum .. And full tea dim sum ..

Fillings:
6) Shellfish, Seafood, fish, meats, vegetables, fruits fresh and dried, vegetarian fillings, vegan fillings ..

There are over 2,000 types ! So, it is an excellent idea ..

I did intend want to take part in the tarte tatin cookalong but it coincided with Christmas (already had too many other sweet things planned) and then my diet starting in January.

Dim sum sounds fun - I have made them once or twice before but it was ages ago so it'd be good to try them out again and get some ideas and tips from other people.

Back
Top Bottom