Help choose the subject of the next Cookalong

These are the premade wrappers I use for pot stickers. They also come in rounds. Found in the freezer section of oriental markets, even in refrigerated section in large markets. They can also be used in the bamboo steamer baskets for just steamed dumplings.

Or you can make the dough and roll out your own. I do have a traditional dough recipe.

2018-01-17 14.24.38.jpg

I will vote for Dim Sum: even though I've made it before, I can certainly do better at the form. And, there are different ways to wrap the dumplings that I haven't tried yet, so there are still things for me to learn (including making my own dough, which I have yet to do).

BTW, Kroger has wrappers in the organic refrigerated section, next to the tofu. Also, if I want to turn a square wrapper into a round wrapper, I just use a circle pastry cutter.

Last edited:
Dim sum: These ancient Silk Route " Cantonese " appetisers come in an extraordinarily enormous variety ..

They can be made with:
1) Wheat Flour
2) Rice Flour
3) Pork Skin

Served in a variety of ways including:
3) Small plates ..
4) Bamboo Baskets ..

Some Types:
5) There are dumplings, buns, rolled, and dessert dim sum .. And full tea dim sum ..

Fillings:
6) Shellfish, Seafood, fish, meats, vegetables, fruits fresh and dried, vegetarian fillings, vegan fillings ..

There are over 2,000 types ! So, it is an excellent idea ..

@ Sandra,

They are like tiny dumplings or "agnoletti" or "ravioli" .. However, they can be made with rice flour or transparent rice wrappers and filled with what ever you like.

The ones I like are steamed with prawns .. and served with a dipping sauce .. prepared with Rice Vinegar and Japanese Bio Teriyaki sauce ..

Dim sum: These ancient Silk Route " Cantonese " appetisers come in an extraordinarily enormous variety ..

They can be made with:
1) Wheat Flour
2) Rice Flour
3) Pork Skin

Served in a variety of ways including:
3) Small plates ..
4) Bamboo Baskets ..

Some Types:
5) There are dumplings, buns, rolled, and dessert dim sum .. And full tea dim sum ..

Fillings:
6) Shellfish, Seafood, fish, meats, vegetables, fruits fresh and dried, vegetarian fillings, vegan fillings ..

There are over 2,000 types ! So, it is an excellent idea ..

@ElizabethB

Still in Colorado ? How are you ?

Definitely a lovely choice due to its variety factor and simplicity ..

Have a wonderful day ..

I will vote for Dim Sum: even though I've made it before, I can certainly do better at the form. And, there are different ways to wrap the dumplings that I haven't tried yet, so there are still things for me to learn (including making my own dough, which I have yet to do).

BTW, Kroger has wrappers in the organic refrigerated section, next to the tofu. Also, if I want to turn a square wrapper into a round wrapper, I just use a circle pastry cutter.

@The Late Night Gourmet

I too vote for Dim Sum for its versatility ..

@ Sandra,

They are like tiny dumplings or "agnoletti" or "ravioli" .. However, they can be made with rice flour or transparent rice wrappers and filled with what ever you like.

The ones I like are steamed with prawns .. and served with a dipping sauce .. prepared with Rice Vinegar and Japanese Bio Teriyaki sauce ..

@Sandra

I posted an easy simplified recipe for Prawn Steamed Dim Sum .. I am going tomorrow to pick up a few ingredients that I do not stock ..

It is in the Seafood & Fish Section ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Be sure they aren't Wonton wrappers, which aren't the same.

It looks like Dim Sum has plenty enough votes to be our next Cookalong. However, I've now found out that the term Dim Sum is an umbrella term for a whole host of different things including different types of wrappers (not just dumplings), sesame toast, spring rolls as well as a type of custard tart!. There are two different articles here which cover the territory:

https://www.thespruce.com/delicious-dim-sum-chinese-brunch-694544
ultimate-dim-sum-guide (Jamie Oliver)

Also, the article in @medtran49 's post above (#16)

This is much too generic for the cookalong - so how to narrow it down? Shall we say 'Dim Sum Dumplings'? Help!

It looks like Dim Sum has plenty enough votes to be our next Cookalong. However, I've now found out that the term Dim Sum is an umbrella term for a whole host of different things including different types of wrappers (not just dumplings), sesame toast, spring rolls as well as a type of custard tart!. There are two different articles here which cover the territory:

https://www.thespruce.com/delicious-dim-sum-chinese-brunch-694544
ultimate-dim-sum-guide (Jamie Oliver)

Also, the article in @medtran49 's post above (#16)

This is much too generic for the cookalong - so how to narrow it down? Shall we say 'Dim Sum Dumplings'? Help!
I've never heard of Dim Sum being anything other than the dumplings, but the above provide interesting reading. So, I suggest we trust Google; this is what happens when I enter Dim Sum Definition in a search engine (not just Google):

dim sum
ˌdim ˈsəm/
noun
  1. a Chinese dish of small steamed or fried savory dumplings containing various fillings, served as a snack or main course.

I've never heard of Dim Sum being anything other than the dumplings, but the above provide interesting reading. So, I suggest we trust Google; this is what happens when I enter Dim Sum Definition in a search engine (not just Google):

dim sum
ˌdim ˈsəm/
noun
  1. a Chinese dish of small steamed or fried savory dumplings containing various fillings, served as a snack or main course.

That would be the first time I've ever trusted Google! :laugh: I think what has happened is that Dim Sum has become Westernised shorthand for Chinese dumplings whereas the term is really much broader.

@medtran49 's reference is also Wiki! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum

Back
Top Bottom