Help choose the subject of the next Cookalong

I think Chinese food is probably one of the most likely cuisines to cause confusion between Brits and Americans due to the differences in the kind of dishes we have and what we call them :laugh:

Wontons are thicker like eggroll wrappers.
We don't really have eggrolls in the UK - looking at pictures they look a bit like spring rolls? I wouldn't say the wrappers are thick though...spring roll wrappers are very very thin, similar to filo pastry.

Are Wonton rice paper or something? What is the difference?
Crispy wontons in our local Chinese restaurants use the same wrapper as spring rolls - they look a bit like these:
a3754491cd82678fa7fe548c9f4a7760--deep-fried-wontons-money-bags.jpg

In 2000 I had the good fortune to spend 3 weeks in Manhattan. China Town was on the itinerary. I remember eating at a restaurant that specialized in Dim Sum. Instead of a menu the servers rolled a large cart of Dim Sum plates to the table so customers could see the product before ordering. There were 4 of us at the table so we ordered a variety to sample and share. I am up to trying to make Dim Sum.

@Francesca arrived home Saturday. Unfortunately I picked up a nasty cold bug and have been whimpy since Sunday. Sitting in my recliner next to the fireplace, wrapped in a blanket. Fortunately I have not had the high fever associated with the flu. Will be better soon. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
We in the US have spring rolls, both uncooked and fried. Spring rolls use rice paper wrappers.

We also have egg rolls, which are fried or baked, and are wrapped in a wheat flour based wrapper.

Wontons, at least the ones I've had, are either deep fried or steamed/boiled in soup, and just 1 or 2 bite sized.

Then you have pot stickers, which are steamed, then fried to brown the bottoms. These use flour based wrappers.

There are also simply steamed dumplings that use the same dough as pot stickers.

Next are the yeast based buns that are steamed, and sometimes steamed and baked.

There are even dessert dim sum. And probably even more kinds I've never heard of.

There is no mention of egg rolls or indeed dim sum in my old Chinese cookery book (bought in the very early 1970s). The book is by Kenneth Lo, so I think he should know what he is talking about. He does mention "Spring Rolls (or Pancake Rolls)" and "Wraplings or Chiao-tzu", the smaller type of which are called wuntuns. I've attached copies of the relevant pages below.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Not sure what your point is posting those pages, but it seems to be generally accepted that dim sum culture, even though the words dim sum might not have been used, started long ago in tea houses in Canton, then spread and evolved from there. Of course there have been changes over the years, that happens with all food cultures and languages, and I think we can all agree that the Chinese people are remarkably adaptable when it comes to locally available ingredients and tastes.

Case in point, I found the Greek cookbook. The author uses a slightly different word for dolmades. I don't remember what it was, but the spelling was a bit different. There was also a recipe that seemed to be the lalangia mentioned in the Greek thread, but, again, the spelling was different, actually quite different other than beginning with an "l". That book is about 30 years old.

I also have a book from my mother that is pushing 80 years. It was given to her as a young bride. There are instructions on how to put together a pantry, how to set the table for a casual family meal to an extremely formal event, how to instruct servants on preparing and serving meals, how to set up a root cellar, build a smokehouse, canning, preserving, etc., plus all kinds of recipes, some of which use ingredients most people wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole today, but people used regularly back then. And for an example of the reverse, lobster in the US was once considered a by-catch and basically trash. It went home with the fishermen for their table because no one would buy it...

Food, just like language, is fluid and constantly changing. Visit a dim sum restaurant or look up a menu on-line for one and you'll see all kinds of things on the menu for dim sum, not just dumplings.

Back
Top Bottom