Help decide the next CookingBites Cookalong dish

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:01 PM
Its been a long time since the last Cookalong. It must be time for a new one!

The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be reasonably specific not generic terms such as ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ or 'pizzas', for example. There are no winners - its simply a chance to share experience. The chosen dish needs to present a 'challenge' rather than being something most of us know how to make.

Here are the dishes we have chosen for the previous Cookalongs:

Coq au Vin
Boeuf Bourguignon
Paella
Falafel
Chicken Kiev
Hungarian Goulash
Ravioli
Tarte Tatin
Chinese Dumplings
Deep Fried eggs
Soufflés and Fondants

So - suggestions please. Just add them to this thread and we will somehow reach a decision in a few days time!

Last edited:
Meatballs. The other night I couldn't sleep, and believe it or not, I was thinking of all the ways I have prepared and might prepare with meatballs in the future.

Eta: I've prepared them every way from Italian to Medterranean/Greek with tzatziki sauce...etc. there are so many other ways of using meatballs other than just serve them with pasta. Think outside the meatball box :)

Last edited:
I keep finding myself thinking of Asian dishes, so this is no surprise:

Egg Rolls (and Spring Rolls)

I'd not heard of egg rolls - it seems they are American Chinese and not really known in China in the same sense?

Spring rolls - yes of course. Standard Chinese fare. Are they tricky enough though?

Meatballs. The other night I couldn't sleep, and believe it or not, I was thinking of all the ways I have prepared and might prepare with meatballs in the future.

I love meatballs but perhaps they are too generic for the Cookalong - the dish needs to be a challenge. A regional or country specific dish or a technical challenge and more specific. Its not easy to come up with ideas - I'm still scratching my head.

All - I added to the top post to say that the chosen dish needs to present 'a challenge' - so not something most of us know how to make. Its difficult to think of things!

I have one suggestion at the moment which is something I've never made:

Hot water crust hand raised pastry - as used in game pies, pork pies etc.

Raised-Pie-1-1920x1515.jpg

I'd not heard of egg rolls - it seems they are American Chinese and not really known in China in the same sense?

Spring rolls - yes of course. Standard Chinese fare. Are they tricky enough though?

Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls are really the same thing, but with a different wrapper: the egg roll wrapper is thicker, whereas what I call a spring roll is thin enough that you can just make out what's inside. To answer the more critical question that I hadn't considered: no, neither one is difficult enough to be worthy of this.

Hot water crust hand raised pastry - as used in game pies, pork pies etc.
Well...that would certainly be a challenge! :eek:

Now, if you want to make this challenging, and something that most people haven't made, how about a Wellington? It's most classic interpretation is beef, but it can be done with other things on the inside (lobster, say, or something wacky, like a zucchini wellington). It's a bit like that raised pastry concept you just posted, but less terrifying.

Now, if you want to make this challenging, and something that most people haven't made, how about a Wellington? It's most classic interpretation is beef, but it can be done with other things on the inside (lobster, say, or something wacky, like a zucchini wellington). It's a bit like that raised pastry concept you just posted, but less terrifying.

@Yorky made a Beef Wellington recently - I think a Wellington would be a good candidate for the Cookalong!

Hot water crust pasty is dead easy - its probably the simplest and most forgiving pastry there is :okay: I've only ever done it using a mould/tin though because I prefer to have thinner pastry than you get on a hand-raised pie.

Choux is also fun - especially as it can be made sweet or savoury.

Now I'm no longer on such a strict diet I'm looking forward to experimenting a bit more :D

Back
Top Bottom