Help! Pickles!

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
3:21 AM
Those of you here probably don't know this. However, one of my all time favorite foods is fried pickles. I recently came across some videos showing how to make them and was happy to find out I have everything I need right here in my kitchen! There's just one little problem. The pickles I have are the tasty sweet gherkins. Can I still use these for fried pickles or no? I looked online but I can't find any definitive answers.

I'm sure they'd be just as good so I'd go ahead and use them. The recipes do look good and I suspect it's really all about the coating!

I'm sure they'd be just as good so I'd go ahead and use them. The recipes do look good and I suspect it's really all about the coating!
Good! I'm relieved. I was worried that I would get sick if I tried it with the gherkins or bread and butter pickles rather than the usual less sweet pickles often associated with the recipe. I'm also going to make a homemade ranch to go along with the pickles, so I'll be able to tell everyone about it in addition to the pickles when I get the recipe ingredients for that as well!

Update! I tried the recipe finally but it went horribly wrong. I nearly burnt the house down! Unfortunately, it turns out that I was using the wrong kind of pot and the flower mixture the recipe called for wouldn't stick to the sweet gherkins. Thus, in the end I ended up with an almost charred pot and smoke all around my home for a good few hours or so. I suppose I could try again at a later date with a correct pot, but I think the experience has kept me from ever wanting to fry anything ever again.

I love threads like this, so much can be lost in local translation,I had never heard of bread butter pickles before or even deep frying them,what a sound idea....what types of batter can you use
In the UK we get big gherkins in the fish and chip shops straight from the jar and they are called wallys,not sure if this is a regional thing ,the mini ones I know them as cornichons,are used for tartare sauce and served with cold high fat content meat dishes
:okay:

I love threads like this, so much can be lost in local translation,I had never heard of bread butter pickles before or even deep frying them,what a sound idea....what types of batter can you use
In the UK we get big gherkins in the fish and chip shops straight from the jar and they are called wallys,not sure if this is a regional thing ,the mini ones I know them as cornichons,are used for tartare sauce and served with cold high fat content meat dishes
:okay:
I've never heard gherkins to be called either wallys or cornichons. So I guess it probably might be regional since you've never heard of bread and butter pickles. I posted an update above..it didn't go well. I used a simple flour batter with some salt and paprika. I also dipped the pickle and mix in some milk to sweeten it like the instructions said to, but in the end I failed ultimately at the task of making these. If you do better, let me know! I'd love to be able to make them properly.

Oh!!!! So the 'wally' word for it basically originated from a misundertanding or association with olives at the time when it was coined. All because of a barrel too....the more you know I suppose? Although now I do know that gherkins are extremely suited for pickling, which is something I'll definitely have to try in the future as well!

Oh!!!! So the 'wally' word for it basically originated from a misundertanding or association with olives at the time when it was coined. All because of a barrel too....the more you know I suppose? Although now I do know that gherkins are extremely suited for pickling, which is something I'll definitely have to try in the future as well!
i love reading about the history of food ,we always consider our selves to be finding new foods trail blazing the culinary highways,but i always get taken back to find out how long some foods have been around,we've seen lately about almond milk ,we all like to try it ,like its a new food yet its documented in medieval recipes with goat,same as dried barberries i used them a few years ago in a dish ,they were deemed to be a modern food ,i have since seen they are documented in the times on Henry the VIII

i love reading about the history of food ,we always consider our selves to be finding new foods trail blazing the culinary highways,but i always get taken back to find out how long some foods have been around,we've seen lately about almond milk ,we all like to try it ,like its a new food yet its documented in medieval recipes with goat,same as dried barberries i used them a few years ago in a dish ,they were deemed to be a modern food ,i have since seen they are documented in the times on Henry the VIII
Oh! Almond Milk! We have that always in stock in my house. In fact, I almost used it for the pickle fiasco but changed my mind at the last minute. Though, I actually did know about the olden days version of it though; I like to study the middle ages for costumage and other areas of food and drink due to going to renaissance fairs at least once a year; the ones I go to value 'authenticity' more than ticket sales so I try to respect that with the knowledge I can of food and whatnot.

Oh! Almond Milk! We have that always in stock in my house. In fact, I almost used it for the pickle fiasco but changed my mind at the last minute. Though, I actually did know about the olden days version of it though; I like to study the middle ages for costumage and other areas of food and drink due to going to renaissance fairs at least once a year; the ones I go to value 'authenticity' more than ticket sales so I try to respect that with the knowledge I can of food and whatnot.
I live near the ancient hill site of old Sarum and the re inactments are great ,held regulary,some live in the style of the past,with the open fires cooking up authentic dishes,bubbling pots of stew type dishes,cooking in the ashes ,all interesting stuff ,I have a lot of time for cooking of the past ,we don't always invent new foods we rediscover them !

we don't always invent new foods we rediscover them !
I love rediscovering old and authentic foods like that! Especially bubbling stews or other stuff I can make over a campfire! I'm pretty sure the only exception I have to the stews or other rediscovered foods is probably something called squirrel meat stew. I have no interest in eating a squirrel or any stew involving a poor fuzzy animal like a rabbit! Well, actually, rabbit stew does sound tasty but I think I'd be too guilty to eat it.

I love rediscovering old and authentic foods like that! Especially bubbling stews or other stuff I can make over a campfire! I'm pretty sure the only exception I have to the stews or other rediscovered foods is probably something called squirrel meat stew. I have no interest in eating a squirrel or any stew involving a poor fuzzy animal like a rabbit! Well, actually, rabbit stew does sound tasty but I think I'd be too guilty to eat it.
eating any animal is social conditioning,to me rabbits ,pigeons and squirrel are vermin and so they get shot,they destroy crops ,and i cook them on a regular basis ,yes i have slow cooked squirrel in a oriental marinade and served with pac choi, and muntjac deers are vermin and sweeter than venison

Back
Top Bottom