Help Solve Great Culinary Mysteries!

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:46 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
You might think that everything in the culinary world has been figured out by now. That’s where you’re quite wrong. Some things continue to mystify me.

But, maybe you can help me figure them out. And, I’ll be happy to help with mysteries you might have. I’ll kick things off.

Why is there canned creamed corn? I understand that creamed corn is a Southern favorite. But, the canned variety is an abomination. At the supermarket I frequent, they have unsold merchandise at a discount, and I always see canned cream corn, so I know I’m not alone here.

Why is American cheese so popular? Okay...it’s creamy when melted, but it’s also virtually flavorless. And, it’s technically not even cheese! Have we (Americans) been so indoctrinated with bland fast food that we just keep on buying it as adults?

image.jpeg
I love creamed corn, first time I had it was in a sammich, creamed corn and ham, beautiful. This was about 30 years ago at a bakery where I worked close by. Then I had it in a fritter many years ago and still replicate it now. I make about 8 fritters out of a can. Hot or cold I love them. Served with Worcester sauce. It works, trust me.

Cheese, I believe we are blessed with great cheese. I buy Barry's bay cheeses, it's an hour away, a nice day time drive to akaroa, my fave is masdaam, it's a fruity nice flavour. Great with my curry onions. Akaroa is a quaint wee French wee town.

A restaurant I used to like called Gulliver's, made the best creamed corn. They served it with prime rib, creamed spinach, Yorkshire pudding. They probably made theirs from scratch with corn, heavy cream, butter and perhaps Parmesan cheese. I like American cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich.

I disagree about ' merican cheese.

We buy Boar's Head brand for $5/lb, sliced to order, and it's really good.

I often have a quick sandwich for breakfast of just a few slices of American cheese, Gulden's spicy brown or Coleman's mustard, and minced raw onion of soft white.

I'm not a fan of either creamed corn or american cheese but it sure is funny to put in american cheese in someone else's sandwich still wrapped in the plastic and wait for them to take a bite.

I've never eaten or even seen creamed corn, but it sounds rather nice. The nearest we get is corn cooked in a little butter with lemon rind and sage leaves. Goes really well with pork.

Is American cheese the same as the plastic stuff they put on burgers? That is an abomination, but there again a Big Mac really wouldn't be the same with any other sort of cheese so I suppose it has it's place.

The individually wrapped American slices are pretty bad. They even take on the weird marks during processing of their plastic wrappers.

It all belongs on a bottom shelf in the supermarket along with Spam.

I've never eaten or even seen creamed corn, but it sounds rather nice. The nearest we get is corn cooked in a little butter with lemon rind and sage leaves. Goes really well with pork.

Is American cheese the same as the plastic stuff they put on burgers? That is an abomination, but there again a Big Mac really wouldn't be the same with any other sort of cheese so I suppose it has it's place.

American cheese is a processed cheese product and yes it is often used on burgers. I prefer a sharp cheddar for mine though, unless it is a specific burger like caramelized onion, mushroom and blue cheese or a "Juicy Lucy". Velveeta is just plain evil and will never darken our door. Memories of baked spaghetti will make sure of that! I like fresh made creamed corn and I'm sure the canned stuff came about simply for "putting up" for later use. We do not eat canned vegetables, frozen is alright for quick meals.

Last edited:
Spam! I rather like it sometimes. As for American cheese I suppose its OK on a burger if it is the same as the type we get here. But the cheese @buckytom mentions sounds different.
One thing which is strange in the uk is tinned ravioli and tinned spaghetti. very soggy and nothing like real pasta. I know @Yorky buys the ravioli.

Spam! I rather like it sometimes. As for American cheese I suppose its OK on a burger if it is the same as the type we get here. But the cheese @buckytom mentions sounds different.
One thing which is strange in the uk is tinned ravioli and tinned spaghetti. very soggy and nothing like real pasta. I know @Yorky buys the ravioli.

Ah Chef Boyardee, evil products from the past that still haunt super market shelves today!:sick: Spaghetti "O"s anyone?:headshake:

Why is American cheese so popular? Okay...it’s creamy when melted, but it’s also virtually flavorless. And, it’s technically not even cheese! Have we (Americans) been so indoctrinated with bland fast food that we just keep on buying it as adults?

I haven't eaten a "cheese burger" in probably 50 years. Whether the cheese has got any better since I have no idea but it still looks the same.

I've never been able to stomach canned ravioli or those horrid Spaghetti Os.

It grossed me out so much when I was a kid that I still don't like ravioli, even well made ones, to this day.

I've never been able to stomach canned ravioli or those horrid Spaghetti Os.

It grossed me out so much when I was a kid that I still don't like ravioli, even well made ones, to this day.

The mystery meat in those ravioli was some kind of unrecognizable paste.:eek: To add insult to injury, served with cheese from the green can!:sick:

Back
Top Bottom