Help! What to do with cabbage!

pintbean

Veteran
Local time
6:56 PM
I am not sure why but my boyfriend went crazy and bought 2 big heads of cabbage. Now I am having a hard time deciding what to do with them. While I do like cabbage, I have to admit I am not the BIGGEST fan of it and don't ant to just steam it, especially not the 2 full heads.

What are some of your favorite cabbage dishes?

You can put it in the pot with meat if you are cooking a larger portion, say a roast, or whole chicken. Just chop it up into medium sized chucks and put it around the meat with any other vegetables you were going to cook. To me, cabbage isn't much different than any other vegetable, so I usually just toss it into the mix of whatever I happen to have at the time and cook them all together.

Cabbage rolls! you can fill with anything you like. Fill a large deep pan with enough water to cover a cabbage and bring it to a boil. Remove all torn or ragged outer leaves from the cabbage. Use a paring knife to cut at an angle around the core and remove as much of it as you can. Put the cabbage core-end up into the boiling water and cook until the leaves soften and begin to come free of the cabbage; you may use a fork or tongs to loosen leaves if they become stuck, but be careful not to tear them. Remove each leaf. place the leaves in a strainer and rinse with cold water. place your cabbage leaves down on cutting boars, counter or whatever your work surface is, with the concave part / bowl like shape up and fill with whatever you like. I like to use stir fried veggies and quinoa or brown rice. roll the cabbage leaf tightly to enclose your filling, then once you have all the cabbage leaves filled and rolled up, place in a pot with the seam side down, add some liquid, I use veggie broth or tomato sauce, and cook on low as possible for about 30 minutes,

Cabbage is also good in soups or as a side with potatoes or even as a main meal.

Cabbage rolls! you can fill with anything you like. Fill a large deep pan with enough water to cover a cabbage and bring it to a boil. Remove all torn or ragged outer leaves from the cabbage. Use a paring knife to cut at an angle around the core and remove as much of it as you can. Put the cabbage core-end up into the boiling water and cook until the leaves soften and begin to come free of the cabbage; you may use a fork or tongs to loosen leaves if they become stuck, but be careful not to tear them. Remove each leaf. place the leaves in a strainer and rinse with cold water. place your cabbage leaves down on cutting boars, counter or whatever your work surface is, with the concave part / bowl like shape up and fill with whatever you like. I like to use stir fried veggies and quinoa or brown rice. roll the cabbage leaf tightly to enclose your filling, then once you have all the cabbage leaves filled and rolled up, place in a pot with the seam side down, add some liquid, I use veggie broth or tomato sauce, and cook on low as possible for about 30 minutes,

Cabbage is also good in soups or as a side with potatoes or even as a main meal.

We do something similar with lettuce, healthier and lighter than using wraps.

DSC_0524.JPG

The best thing you can do with cabbage is to throw it away. Disgusting stuff. Cant stand the smell, the look or the taste. Sorry, but it's the thing of nightmares for me.

Savoy cabbage: shredded and stir fried with shallots, mushrooms, bacon and a little cream :hungry:

I am excited for all the suggestions that lettuce wraps seems totally do-able. Unfortunately, I am not sure what kind of cabbages these are...I just know they are heavy. I also must say I enjoyed the suggestion of throwing them out. Hahaha We are not fans of throwing out food so unfortunately that is out of the question.

When I was growing up cabbage just seemed to be boiled to within an inch of it's life. Thanks to the internet at the click of a button we have endless access to recipes and information so now cabbage can be cooked properly and enjoyed.

I do have a recipe for cabbage, although I don't know how many people would like it!

It's called Bigos, an eastern slavic dish. It is:

thinly sliced cabbage, sautéed
thinly sliced onions, sautéed
diced kielbasa, sautéed
drained and rinsed sauerkraut
diced tomato and tomato paste
dried mushrooms
bay leaves
peppercorns

You put all that in a huge pot, mix it all up and let it simmer on low all day. Then you leave it overnight, and again reheat it the next day. It always tastes better after a day or two. You can eat it alone, with mashed potatoes, or with bread and butter. It might be an acquired taste? I don't know. But I love it, it's a great lower calorie winter comfort dish.

We do lots of cabbage wraps here. You can cook that cabbage, but most of the time we don't. We just fill the leaves with chicken and rice and dinner is done!! So delicious.

Haluski is a personal favorite - it's basically just braised cabbage, caramelized onions, melted butter and egg noodles along with parmesan/romano cheese. Some folks also throw in some crumbled bacon too. I believe the dish is Polish in origin, and it's sort of like their version of comfort food - along the lines of a mac and cheese. The braising really tames the smell and taste of the cabbage, and combined with the caramelized onions, add a nice delicate sweetness to the whole dish. Plus the cabbage takes on a noodle-like quality that mimics the egg noodles.

Honestly, I'm fine with just plain old braised cabbage as a side dish. I just cut it into large chunks and break it up a bit, then simmer it in a pot with a little water (about a third of the way up) until it cooks down and is very tender. You will need to periodically add more water as it cooks. Once done, just drain and toss with some oil and or butter, salt and pepper. That's it really. In fact if you cut up the cabbage like noodles, you are saving on carbs by eating "cabbage" noodles instead.

Some finely shredded cabbage, and a little mayo, vinegar and sugar to make a quick slaw, goes great on turkey sandwiches or pastrami sandwiches. There are also non mayo based slaws that instead use vinegar, oil and mustard.

Cabbage actually lasts a long time in the refrigerator, so there's no need to cook it all at one time. I used to prepare mine simply with garlic and onion, but after watching a cooking show with a woman from India, I started making it with ginger and spices associated with that country. Later I added shrimp to the dish.

Another way I cook it is in the oven with carrots and potatoes. If you cook rice often you could stuff the leaves and make cabbage rolls. There are so many different things you can do with it.

Back
Top Bottom