Home grown Horseradish

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
5:40 AM
IMG_1760.JPG

We harvested this earlier this morning after finding that the root we had in the fridge was past its best. With all of that foliage we were expecting a bigger root - previous ones have been as much as 2ft long! Some will be grated later to make sauce to go with today's roast beef lunch. If anyone has any preserving tips they would be much appreciated - it takes a long time to use up a whole root!

@epicuric

You have a "Green thumb" ..

It is called Crema de Rabano Picante in Spanish and I use for:

Smoked salmon or gravlax would be lovely ..
Smoked Herrings ..
Crudities (assorted raw sliced veggies for dipping)
Hard boiled eggs ( never tried however, I believe it would be quite tasty ) ..
Smoked Cod fish

I prepare mine with: chives, salt, freshly ground pepper, horse radish grated , a tiny pinch of salt, and a tiny drizzle of lemon .. Mix quickly with a stand up mixer .. Other fresh herbs could also work, based on taste preferences ..

Have a lovely day .. Hope this has assisted ..

Last edited:
If anyone has any preserving tips they would be much appreciated - it takes a long time to use up a whole root!

You can freeze them whole and simply grate with a microplane from frozen whenever you need (returning the remainder to the freezer). This works for fresh turmeric and ginger too.

@epicuric

I keep ginger in the freezer. If you have a manual defrost freezer your horse radish will last longer than in an auto defrost model. The defrost cycle will dry it out faster. Put it in a zip bag or wrap in plastic.

Back
Top Bottom