Recipe Home-made Asian style Spicy Sausages

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:24 PM
I was a sausage virgin when I made these! Now I have the urge to make more :happy:. Its easier than you think to make your own sausages. I ordered the sausage skins on-line and I used a piping bag to make these - but frankly, that is a rather fiddly. I've since bought a simple manually operated sausage machine so I'll be trying that out shortly. But its perfectly possible to make them without skins and just use cling-film to shape them.

This recipe is quite spicy and aromatic. I used garlic powder, which I find works well in meatballs and helps to bind them, so I thought it might be good for sausages. I used these sausages to make a noodle dish which I'll post up separately.

20170806_125538.jpg

The cooked sausages:

20170807_161056.jpg

Ingredients
500g minced pork
4 heaped tsp "Babas Meat Curry Powder”*
2 tbs rice wine (substitute sherry)
4 heaped tsp garlic powder
2 heaped tsp 5 spice powder
3 tbs Thai fish sauce
2 heaped tsp hot chilli powder
3 tsp salt
Sausage skins (optional)

*Recommended by Frizz1974 here. Substitute a mix of ground coriander, cumin and turmeric, plus an extra heaped tsp of chilli powder.

Method
  1. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well - the best way to do this is with your hands. Just keep squidging until you have a coarse paste.
  2. Use either a sausage machine (follow manufacturers instructions) or a piping bag with a large nozzle to fill the sausage skin. Twist the filled skin at regular interval for the desired sausage length.
  3. To form the sausages without skins, place desired amount of the mixture in a sausage shape on a piece of lightly oiled cling film. Fold over the cling film to encase the mixture.
  4. Hold the loose ends and roll the ‘sausage’ away from yourself several times thereby twisting the ends of the clingfilm until you have a tight sausage shape. Repeat for each sausage. Leave the sausages in clingfilm to chill in fridge before use.
  5. Now you can use the sausages however you wish - just fry, grill or oven cook them.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't had a chance to comment on this. I was extremely interested, since so few people I know make their own sausage, but I was away visiting my parents. Anyway...

Even though I see that you didn't grind the sausage, I'm still really impressed that you put these in sausage skins, particularly because you used a piping bag. Are you insane?? :laugh: I have an attachment on my meat grinder that makes stuffing sausage fairly simple, so I'm impressed with the effort you went through, and with how good the results look.

How many did you get from your 500 g of pork? Would they fit into a hot dog-sized bun? I'm thinking this would make a fast-and-delicious Bahn Mi with some kimchi, mayo, and cilantro. Bravo! :bravo:

I'm still really impressed that you put these in sausage skins, particularly because you used a piping bag. Are you insane?? :laugh:

Yes. Undoubtedly so.

How many did you get from your 500 g of pork? Would they fit into a hot dog-sized bun? I'm thinking this would make a fast-and-delicious Bahn Mi with some kimchi, mayo, and cilantro. Bravo!

It was about 8 sausages I think. Oh yes, they would fit into a hot dog-sized bun. But they are a bit 'skinny' for my taste. That was down to the size of the sausage skins. My next challenge is the vegan sausage (I have sourced some vegan skins).

So you have made sausages using your meat grinder attachment?

So you have made sausages using your meat grinder attachment?
No, I haven't yet, but I've seen how it's done with my type of meat grinder, and I have all the pieces to do it. It will almost certainly be much more difficult than I think it is. I had planned to do this as part of my prep, but my non-cooking life is getting exceptionally busy, so it might not happen before the contest ends.

No, I haven't yet, but I've seen how it's done with my type of meat grinder, and I have all the pieces to do it. It will almost certainly be much more difficult than I think it is. I had planned to do this as part of my prep, but my non-cooking life is getting exceptionally busy, so it might not happen before the contest ends.

Oh! I would like to see you make those sausages if you can possibly fit them in to your schedule.:D It might not be so difficult with the right equipment. I think once you get going its quite a quick procedure. The main hazard is the skins bursting.

Back
Top Bottom