Recipe Home-made butter

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:27 AM
If you have never tried this then please do. It couldn't be easier with just 2 ingredients. Your friends and family will be impressed and probably won't know how simple it is to make! 300ml cream makes approximately 140g butter.

fullsizeoutput_4041.jpeg

Ingredients
300ml double cream (heavy cream)
Salt to taste (crystals of salt are good)

Method
  1. Place the cream in a large bowl
  2. Using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk and keep whisking.
  3. Eventually the cream will start turning into clumps and then separate into butter curds and buttermilk (see below)
  4. Drain off the buttermilk and save to use in baking.
  5. Using your hands, squish the curds together, extracting excess liquid, until it forms a solid lump.
  6. Add salt to taste.
Its also possible to make butter by putting the cream in a large sealed glass jar and shaking vigorously although you need plenty of elbow grease for that!

fullsizeoutput_4046.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4044.jpeg

Really impressive! As simple as the process is, I can see how this can be adapted to use other sources (such as, maybe, fat free half and half to make a light butter, though I'm sure it would take longer to come together). It makes me wonder now how vegan butter can be done...

Really impressive! As simple as the process is, I can see how this can be adapted to use other sources (such as, maybe, fat free half and half to make a light butter, though I'm sure it would take longer to come together). It makes me wonder now how vegan butter can be done...

I don't think half and half would work. Most light butter type spreads have added water I think. Some use buttermilk and vegetable fat.

Last edited:
My daughter's kindergarten class (1984) made a "Thanksgiving Feast" which included butter made by each child, by shaking heavy cream in a baby food jar.

Back
Top Bottom