Home-made chips (fries)

The technique I posted in my celery poutine recipe is also how I make my English-style chips (fries), most of which has already been stated here:

1. Assuming we're talking about a potato, you do need to soak the cut pieces for at least an hour to draw out the starch (overnight in the refrigerator is also okay). Then, drain and pat dry...we all seem to agree on that part. Things that are low in starch (like the celery root) don't need this step, but they also won't be hurt by this step.

2. I always do a par-fry at 300° F (150° C) for a few minutes to begin the cooking process so the fries aren't raw on the inside. This is particularly important with thicker cuts. The fries won't be fully cooked at this point. Remove from the oil and allow to rest on a paper towel while you par-fry the rest in batches.

3. I then raise the temperature to 350° - 375° F (175° - 190° C) and finish the job. Fry them until they have the look you want (typically golden brown), then strain and place on paper towel. Dust with salt or other seasonings while still hot so the seasoning sticks.

Back
Top Bottom