Home made salad dressing

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:08 AM
I grew up with this for our salads, I don't know where it came from but I use it all the time. My kids all love it as well, if they come here for a meal, they ask for leftover dressing.
This is how my mum made it, it's possibly an English recipe.

Small can condensed milk
4 tablespoons malt vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Level tablespoon mustard powder
4 good shakes of pepper.
Stir and keep in fridge.

Russ

I make a honey mustard dressing for our Rusty Pelican shrimp salad with HB eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, chives or green onions, and red leaf lettuce.

Also, we make a spicy Cajun buttermilk ranch for a chicken salad.

Another chicken salad, which was probably based on the UK Coronation salad, gets a curry powder/mayo/butter based dressing over shredded lettuce with seedless grapes and toasted sliced almonds.

Last edited:
Hopefully he meant evaporated.

I did wonder! As the dressing also has a tablespoon of sugar I think it must be.

It sounds like a home-made version of 'salad cream' which was what we all had in the UK before mayo became popular. We still have it in bottles in all the supermarkets. I rather like it sometimes but it is rather sweet.

Here is what Wiki says:

When first created in the Harlesden (London) kitchens of Heinz in 1914 the preparation was done by hand. The jars were packed in straw-lined barrels—12 dozen in each. The work schedule was 180 dozen jars a day, with a halfpenny a dozen bonus if the workforce could beat the target.[3]

Salad cream was not readily available in the United States until the 21st century (though Miracle Whip provided a similar, if thicker alternative); however, with the large population of British expatriates, especially in the Northeast, it is becoming more common. Major retail supermarket chains sell salad cream as a regular item.[4][5][6][dubiousdiscuss] Many supermarkets sell national and store brands of salad dressing which resemble salad cream.

LN_575684_BP_11.jpg

Last edited:
We have something called Marzetti's, brand name, there may be others too, that sound similar to salad cream. Most people I know use it to dress coleslaw. It's an emulsion of some kind though as it's fairly thick.

It's defo condensed milk, I know sugar seems too sweet, the vinegar balances it. It's really nice.

Russ

Gosh - I wouldn't have thought it needed sugar added as well as condensed milk, What kind of salad would you use it on/with?

Gosh - I wouldn't have thought it needed sugar added as well as condensed milk, What kind of salad would you use it on/with?
My salad is sliced iceberg, we grow these, boiled eggs sliced up, tomatoes sliced also radishes spring onion and cheese squares. It's really good.

Russ

I did wonder! As the dressing also has a tablespoon of sugar I think it must be.

It sounds like a home-made version of 'salad cream' which was what we all had in the UK before mayo became popular. We still have it in bottles in all the supermarkets. I rather like it sometimes but it is rather sweet.

Here is what Wiki says:

View attachment 22100

I saw this exact salad cream in the grocery, just happened to notice it as we were going down that aisle.

Back
Top Bottom