Home made salad dressing

I need to do the same. Honestly, salad cream is no big deal. I quite like it because I was brought up with it (no mayo in the UK in those days).
Food hell for me, I'm afraid! As a child, I remember the staple lunch for tractor drivers was beetroot and salad cream sandwiches. I have just about got over my dread of beetroot, salad cream may take some time.

I did wonder! As the dressing also has a tablespoon of sugar I think it must be.

It sounds like a home-made version of 'salad cream' which was what we all had in the UK before mayo became popular. We still have it in bottles in all the supermarkets. I rather like it sometimes but it is rather sweet.

View attachment 22100

I haven't seen that in many years. I think that it would be too sweet for me now. Is it an ingredient within "sandwich spread"? - I saw that only recently.

[Edit: It is - I looked it up].

sandwich spread.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen that in many years. I think that it would be too sweet for me now. Is it an ingredient within "sandwich spread"? - I saw that only recently.

[Edit: It is - I looked it up].

View attachment 22863
Oh no - another food hell that I'd forgotten. I'd pay £15.60 not to have to eat that. Give me Shippams paste any day.

Oh no - another food hell that I'd forgotten. I'd pay £15.60 not to have to eat that. Give me Shippams paste any day.

I rather like sandwich spread. Its a childhood thing but I've eaten it since. Its rather good in small amounts with ham in a sandwich.

Food hell for me, I'm afraid! As a child, I remember the staple lunch for tractor drivers was beetroot and salad cream sandwiches. I have just about got over my dread of beetroot, salad cream may take some time.

I love a beetroot and onion sammich.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom