Recipe Homemade custard

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:02 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have decided that I am in need of some comfort food and I know, I have a strange idea of comfort food but I have always turned to custard when I need comfort... so here is a recipe for some homemade custard.
This recipes in Mary Berry's homemade custard. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/realpropercustard_65614
I have a hankering that there might be some made later today... :whistling:

Ingredients
  • 570ml/1 pint milk (dairy free milk will be fine, such as almond milk but if you use the original watch for the sweetness levels, you may not need any sugar at all)
  • 55ml/2fl oz single cream (omit or add dairy free cream)
  • 1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs, yolks only
  • 30g/1oz caster sugar
  • 2 level tsp cornflour
Preparation method
  1. Bring the milk, cream and vanilla pod to simmering point slowly over a low heat.
  2. Remove the vanilla pod (wash the vanilla pod, dry and store in jar with caster sugar to make vanilla sugar).
  3. Whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl until well blended.
  4. Pour the hot milk and cream on to the eggs and sugar, whisking all the time with a balloon whisk.
  5. Return to the pan, (add vanilla extract if using) and over a low heat gently stir with a wooden spatula until thickened.
  6. Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once.
  7. To keep hot, stand the jug in a pan of hot water and cover the top with cling film to prevent skin forming.

Custard is good. My mother used to make that alot when I was young. However, I prefer desserts like Creme Brulee. I guess you would not eat that as a vegan but there may be vegan versions of it around. It is one of the best desserts ever in my estimation. I would put it up there with favored cakes and pies.

. I guess you would not eat that as a vegan but there may be vegan versions of it around
technically I am vegetarian minus dairy, so vegan plus eggs and honey, so I can eat it thankfully! :D

do you eat the custard on its own @SatNavSaysStraightOn ?
yep - straight on its own.
A long time ago, Boots used to do a custard powder which you just added milk to and I loved that. It was my favourite. I was very sad the day I found out that they had stopped making it. I have found similar ones, but they have never had the correct balance of sugar in them. The Boots one (as in Boots in the high street) was spot on for my tastes!

I have never made home made custard before, but that looks scrummy. I love custard, especially with apple pie, apple crumble, or golden syrup sponge, or jam ro, y poly. I have to stop now, because im drooling. I may try that recipe

not the best picture in the world and the first time I have made 'fresh custard'...

DSC_0763.JPG

A long time ago, Boots used to do a custard powder which you just added milk to and I loved that. It was my favourite. I was very sad the day I found out that they had stopped making it. I have found similar ones, but they have never had the correct balance of sugar in them. The Boots one (as in Boots in the high street) was spot on for my tastes!

Puzzled by this. Boots doing custard powder? Was it a diabetic thing? As far as I remember they have only ever sold 'special diet' foods (and not many of those) under their own label. So was it like traditional Bird's Custard in the sense you had to mix it to a paste with a bit of milk and then add hot milk to the paste and stir?

Last edited by a moderator:
Puzzled by this. Boots doing custard powder? Was it a diabetic thing? As far as I remember they have only ever sold 'special diet' foods (and not many of those) under their own label. So was it like traditional Bird's Custard in the sense you had to mix it to a paste with a bit of milk and then add hot milk to the paste and stir?
It may have been under their diabetic range but we are talking about two decades ago! It was a teenage thing of mine... And yes it was a just add to hot milk... It was gorgeous.

Custard is a delicious comfort food and I do not think it is strange at all. I have never just eaten a bowl of custard, but I love it as an ooey and goey filling in donuts and tarts. During the summer time I love to make a delicious custard pie with fresh fruit. My mouth is watering now!

Back
Top Bottom