• 40 g. butter
  • 150 g. Blue Stilton cheese
  • 1 kg. potatoes
  • 1 sprig of sage
  • 1 egg
  • salt to taste
  • a sprinkling of nutmeg

Method

In a large bowl put the flour, a pinch of salt and set aside.

Peel potatoes and cook them (boiled in water or steam). Once cooked, crush them still hot with a fork or with a crushed potato and add them to the bowl with flour, add the egg and begin to work the dough with your hands until you get a soft and compact dough.

Put the dough on a large wooden chopping board, flour it so that the dough does not stick.

Cut it into three parts and begin to roll the first as little sausages of about 3 cm in diameter and cut it into 2 cm and cut into little cubes (see picture below)
little cubes of gnocchi dough.jpg
Crush delicately with fingers each dough piece so that it becomes a small circle and put inside each one a piece of Stilton (see picture below)
Filled gnocchi dough.jpg
Close each dough and put it between the palms of your hands and make a round shape, as if it were a meatball. If it was a bit too sticky, pour it a little more. Go on like this for the rest of the dough.
Put gnocchi well spaced together on a plate or a lightly floured chopping board.

In a pot boil salted water – or reuse the water in which you have cooked the potatoes, as I did – and plunge the gnocchi only when the water boiling and put the dumplings with a skimmer only when they get to the surface. So they "will say" that they are ready. Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave with sliced sage.

Drain gnocchi, add the melted butter with sage, a light sprinkled of nutmeg and serve up.
Gnocchi con stilton.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to try this combination: Italian gnocchi and UK Blue Stilton

Serves 4, preparation time 30 minutes, total cooking time 40 minutes

• 300 g. white flour
  • 40 g. butter
  • 1 kg. potatoes
  • 1 sprig of sage
  • 1 egg
  • salt to taste
  • a sprinkling of nutmeg

Method

Peel potatoes and cook them (boiled in water or steam). Once cooked, crush them still hot with a fork or with a crushed potato and add them to the bowl with flour, add the egg and begin to work the dough with your hands until you get a soft and compact dough.

Put the dough on a large wooden chopping board, flour it so that the dough does not stick.

Cut it into three parts and begin to roll the first as little sausages of about 3 cm in diameter and cut it into 2 cm and cut into little cubes (see picture below)
View attachment 6873
Crush delicately with fingers each dough piece so that it becomes a small circle and put inside each one a piece of Stilton (see picture below)
View attachment 6874
Close each dough and put it between the palms of your hands and make a round shape, as if it were a meatball. If it was a bit too sticky, pour it a little more. Go on like this for the rest of the dough.
Put gnocchi well spaced together on a plate or a lightly floured chopping board.

In a pan boil salted water – or reuse the water in which you have cooked the potatoes, as I did – and plunge the gnocchi only when the water boiling and put the dumplings with a skimmer only when they get to the surface. So they will say that they are ready. Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave with sliced sage.

Drain gnocchi, add the melted butter with sage, a light sprinkled of nutmeg and serve up.
View attachment 6875

Stunning! A big hitting dish for not a lot of effort. I will certainly try this.
Anything with Stilton in gets my vote, but you have some pretty awesome blue cheeses of your own, do you not?

Stunning! A big hitting dish for not a lot of effort. I will certainly try this.
Anything with Stilton in gets my vote, but you have some pretty awesome blue cheeses of your own, do you not?

Thank you..I find out Blue Stilton cheese called Thomas Hoe Stevenson in a supermaket and I really like it. It looks like our Italian Gorgonzola (maybe an overseas cousin? :laugh: both taste and look, but Stilton is stronger as a taste, more flavorful. I bought a piece of Stilton a few weeks ago, devoured it all. Then I did not resist and bought another and the piece in the picture is what I used to fill these dumplings. The flavor is always decided but in cooking a little becomes more delicate .. a little.

Last edited:
I wanted to try this combination: Italian gnocchi and UK Blue Stilton

Serves 4, preparation time 30 minutes, total cooking time 40 minutes

• 300 g. white flour
  • 40 g. butter
  • 1 kg. potatoes
  • 1 sprig of sage
  • 1 egg
  • salt to taste
  • a sprinkling of nutmeg

Method

View attachment 6873
View attachment 6874

In a pan boil salted water – or reuse the water in which you have cooked the potatoes, as I did – and plunge the gnocchi only when the water boiling and put the dumplings with a skimmer only when they get to the surface. So they will say that they are ready. Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave with sliced sage.

View attachment 6875

Gorgeous!

I find out Blue Stilton cheese called Thomas Hoe Stevenson in a supermaket and I really like it.
Ahhh Stilton from my favourite dairy.... I grew up not far from Long Clawson and we always got our cheese from there. Actually I'm not a fan of blue cheeses, but I LOVE their White Stilton :)

Thank you..I find out Blue Stilton cheese called Thomas Hoe Stevenson in a supermaket and I really like it. It looks like our Italian Gorgonzola (maybe an overseas cousin? :laugh: both taste and look, but Stilton is stronger as a taste, more flavorful. I bought a piece of Stilton a few weeks ago, devoured it all. Then I did not resist and bought another and the piece in the picture is what I used to fill these dumplings. The flavor is always decided but in cooking a little becomes more delicate .. a little.
They also make a Blue Shropshire variety that is very good.

Our local Waitrose does it. You can also buy it direct from Cropwell Bishop Creamery in Nottinghamshire.

I've checked on Internet for a cheese factory in Edinburgh and I found Iain J. Mellis, very quoted. We'll go sicurely to take a look and to taste and maybe buy something not too smell that would be bring on airplane

Our local Waitrose does it. You can also buy it direct from Cropwell Bishop Creamery in Nottinghamshire.

I've checked on Internet for a cheese factory in Edinburgh and I found Iain J. Mellis, very quoted. We'll go sicurely to take a look and to taste and maybe buy something not too smell that would be bring on airplane

Know what this is @MypinchofItaly?

IMG_1048.JPG

It's my lunch. Made fairly faithfully to your recipe. I used about a third of your quantities - it was just an experiment - and got about 24 dumplings - so you can see I served myself about 1/3rd of those. The younger teenager had just one, wouldn't have any of the sage butter and was unequivocal that he didn't like them. The older teenager was unusually enthusiastic, saying that they were lovely. I think he only had about five of them, but he did have sage butter with them. Unfortunately, my wife is out at work, and I don't know how the other ones will be warmed up later, but we'll see. Oh and, as I said I would, I used Gorgonzola Piccante.

So for my own opinion, the texture of Gnocchi is something I needed to adjust to. But after the first couple I managed to do so, and the melted Gorgonzola cheese is what made them really beautiful. I might decide to do these as a stater at some forthcoming dinner party. Many thanks, @MypinchofItaly for a lovely recipe.

View attachment 6994

It's my lunch. Made fairly faithfully to your recipe. I used about a third of your quantities - it was just an experiment - and got about 24 dumplings - so you can see I served myself about 1/3rd of those. The younger teenager had just one, wouldn't have any of the sage butter and was unequivocal that he didn't like them. The older teenager was unusually enthusiastic, saying that they were lovely. I think he only had about five of them, but he did have sage butter with them. Unfortunately, my wife is out at work, and I don't know how the other ones will be warmed up later, but we'll see. Oh and, as I said I would, I used Gorgonzola Piccante.

So for my own opinion, the texture of Gnocchi is something I needed to adjust to. But after the first couple I managed to do so, and the melted Gorgonzola cheese is what made them really beautiful. I might decide to do these as a stater at some forthcoming dinner party. Many thanks, @MypinchofItaly for a lovely recipe.

I do love it when members cook other member's recipes! They look lovely. The only thing I would say is that they look rather large. Its difficult to know from your photo as I don't know how big the plate is - but gnocchi are normally quite small. You did say you followed the recipe faithfully though - so I''m assuming you made the gnocchi from 2 x 3 cm pieces of dough? Perhaps its a small plate?

View attachment 6994

Oh @Ken Natton, you really did them! Wow! :bravo:I'm very happy my gnocchi were good for you and for your son! Gorgonzola piccante is very good for these gnocchi, so..I'm going to try your recipe! :D
But I'm fall in love with Blue Stilton, a really great combo for me. Ciao!

Back
Top Bottom