Homemade or Shop bought Christmas Cake?

Do you make your own or buy a Christmas Cake?

• Shop bought Christmas Cake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:17 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
It is getting to the time of year again when I need to consider making my Christmas Cake. I can't consider a shop bought cake simply because I am allergic to dairy, so the butter in any cake means they are not an option (and even margarine has to be checked for dairy nowadays), but I was left wondering how many people still make their own Christmas Cakes?

It is getting to the time of year again when I need to consider making my Christmas Cake. I can't consider a shop bought cake simply because I am allergic to dairy, so the butter in any cake means they are not an option (and even margarine has to be checked for dairy nowadays), but I was left wondering how many people still make their own Christmas Cakes?

I make mine and I also make one for a friend that is vegan which is interesting

I make my own Christmas cake because it tastes better than store bought. We always make our own desserts during the holidays because it's a tradition in our family.

I make my own Christmas cake because it tastes better than store bought. We always make our own desserts during the holidays because it's a tradition in our family.

+1

We have always had Christmas here with French neighbours. It's a tradition to bring a dessert to any dinner / BBQ / meal. At Christmas the others all bring traditional Christmas Logs (so that would be 3 then :wink:) As I come from the UK tradition goes out the window and I bring something different. One year it was a Christmas cake. It was duly cut into 12 pieces and served, after we each had a piece of the 3 chocolate logs :eek:

Oh wow that sounds good, but we normally do all the holiday baking at my mom's house. Some people will bring a dessert, but I don't know of anyone who brought a store bought cake to the dinner. Everyone like to bake their own.

Oh wow that sounds good, but we normally do all the holiday baking at my mom's house. Some people will bring a dessert, but I don't know of anyone who brought a store bought cake to the dinner. Everyone like to bake their own.

Just to clear the confusion - I made it :)

We do. I mean my wife does, but that would be a small sized one for the family alone. For friends and extended families, we end up relying on bought cakes.

This must be a british thing??

I won't be having either but if I'd have to get one I'd buy it from a store. I don't enjoy baking.

We usually cook so much food for Thanksgiving and Christmas that none of us can even bear to eat desert by the time we are done. With stuff like cakes, although I do know how to bake them, I don't have the equipment nor the steady hand to decorate them nicely. If I did plan on having cake, I would prefer to have it store bought simply because it would look nicer. Especially if I were having guests over, and it wasn't just my family. But if I was on a tighter budget I would have no problem making my own cake.

If you're talking about Christmas cake as in fruit cake, we normally purchase one, which we serve to guests in December, leading up to Christmas. Personally, I'm not a fan of fruit cake though and can only eat it in small servings. Strangely on Christmas day my mom makes home made trifle and my dad bakes a banana cake. The banana cake is a tradition on my dad's side of the family as his sister's birthday is on Christmas and to make her feel special and to remind her that it was still her birthday, he'd bake her favorite cake, banana cake. :)

During the Christmas holidays wherein we are all busy if we don't have the time we only bought Christmas cake in one of our leading bakeshops in our place. But there is one Auntie of mine who always love to bake cakes and gave us one as her gift to us so we do not buy anymore. Sometimes we only bake easy and simple cupcakes and decorate it with colorful icings of red, green and white the true colors of Christmas and then we sprinkle on top with chocolate chips and M&M chocolates for a more festive look.

I'm from the South so I don't know anything about store bought cakes or cup cakes. Everyone I know always baked and bakes their own. I haven't started baking yet, but I'm very familiar with the process because I grew up around it, in the kitchen with my parents and grands.

I don't like Christmas cake so I won't be buying it or making it. My grandmother makes a Christmas cake every year. It all goes in a week I would have a small slice of that. I am more of a chocolate person

I don't like Christmas cake so I won't be buying it or making it. My grandmother makes a Christmas cake every year. It all goes in a week I would have a small slice of that. I am more of a chocolate person
It is strange because I don't like fruit cake either, with the sole exception of this one recipe. But I omit the things I hate like orange peel, candied peel and currants and add more of what I like dried sour cherries, and much more in the way of nuts. the cake is solid fruit cake, not a sponge cake with fruit in it, again something I loath and detest... I also hate glace cherries, so whilst it has some in it, they are not whole, they are chopped up into sizes that vanish...
But this Christmas cake is one of those recipes that has evolved over the years and is a meal in itself - something we often use it as on Christmas Day (or at least did in the past when I could walk/climb still)... I would be a chocolate person - always used to be, but I am very limited on what I can have being allergic to dairy. Decent shop bought dairy free-chocolate is very expensive, but I have recently attended a chocolate truffle making course and can now make my own dairy free chocolate truffles having adapted their recipe a touch... I'm not sure it is any cheaper (lol) but it is much more fun!

Back
Top Bottom