Homemade potato chips

Local time
5:52 PM
Every once in awhile I will pull out our big deep fryer; usually for "special occasions" such as Superbowl Sunday when we allow ourselves to eat lousy-for-us food and drink beer while we watch the football game. I did so this weekend and made some chicken wings and homemade chips. We received a Slice-o-matic (as a gag gift, actually) and it's great for slicing potatoes in uniform sizes.

The chips turned out really good. Usually I slice them and pat them dry before putting them down into the oil, but this year, I soaked them in warm water for an hour or so because I read the tip online. The kids ate them up!

I used to love home made potato chips when I was growing up! But as an adult I hate deep frying anything in the house because of the "oily" smell it leaves! I wish there was an easy workaround to avoid that but nothing I've tried works. I've even tried using scented candles and oil burners to try and keep the smell away to no result!

I had been searching for the right technique or maybe the right variety of potato in making a super crunchy bunch of chips but I always fail. I think I am going to try your tip of soaking them on warm water I guess that will remove some starch and will help make a nice crisp.

I had been searching for the right technique or maybe the right variety of potato in making a super crunchy bunch of chips but I always fail. I think I am going to try your tip of soaking them on warm water I guess that will remove some starch and will help make a nice crisp.

In the past, I've been told that Yukon Gold potatoes work better for making chips, but we already had Russet at home, so that's what we used. I don't think the potato type made much of a difference. I think the warm water made a difference. We soaked them for awhile...not intentionally, just because of our schedule that day.

I used to love home made potato chips when I was growing up! But as an adult I hate deep frying anything in the house because of the "oily" smell it leaves! I wish there was an easy workaround to avoid that but nothing I've tried works. I've even tried using scented candles and oil burners to try and keep the smell away to no result!

I hate deep frying in the house too and I never do it. I'm fortunate enough to have a great patio right outside my kitchen, so I just set up the deep fryer outside the kitchen door and deep fry outside! No oily smell in the house!

I have not used my deep fryer in like forever. I try to stay away from frying much of anything but on the odd occasion I'll play around with some home made fries. Usually I'll cut them is different shapes depending on my mood and fry them in a regular pan. On the very odd occasion.

I don't usually fry anything other than french fries to keep the weight down. I think I will try this method of soaking the potatoes in warm water before frying them. Would this work for sweet potatoe fries?

Every once in awhile I will pull out our big deep fryer; usually for "special occasions" such as Superbowl Sunday when we allow ourselves to eat lousy-for-us food and drink beer while we watch the football game. I did so this weekend and made some chicken wings and homemade chips. We received a Slice-o-matic (as a gag gift, actually) and it's great for slicing potatoes in uniform sizes.

The chips turned out really good. Usually I slice them and pat them dry before putting them down into the oil, but this year, I soaked them in warm water for an hour or so because I read the tip online. The kids ate them up!
I would think you need to dry the potatoes really carefully after they've been soaked!
You can also make potato chips (crisps in UK) in the oven also there is a microwave version with no oil! Just Google...

I have always wanted to try my hand at making homemade potato chips. I have had them during parade days in my hometown and they are delicious. After soaking them in warm water, did you still need to dry them thoroughly? What type of seasonings did you use to flavor them?

My husband used to cook potato chips the homemade style. He would slice the potatoes in chip size and marinade it in soy sauce for 30 minutes before frying to a crisp. It tastes heavenly. But when I was diagnosed with kidney stones, that recipe was forgotten and homemade french fries replaced it. But now that cooking fries is quite laborious, what he does is potato widgets, slicing the potato and frying with the rind or skin. It also tastes good especially when it is fried crispy.

All we used to flavor the chips was salt. We added it only after the chips were pulled from the oil and drained. Usually, when I add the chips to the fryer, I will dab them dry just a bit with a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture. This time, my husband was doing the frying and he just took them straight from the warm water, gave them a little shake to stop the drips, and put them right in the oil. I think he was more lax because we were frying outside so he didn't worry so much about grease splatter.

Let's not tell my husband he can make chips at home. I'm sure he knows he can but he's never attempted it. We already use the deep fryer enough as it is. I try to limit it but if he gets home before I do it's what he pulls out first and while I do love making homemade french fries it's not good for us to eat this way. Back to the chips, when I was younger I had a friend whose mother made them all the time I guess. Being a kid I didn't know what it all entailed so I couldn't tell you what kind of potatoes she used or whatnot. I do remember they were good. I have heard soaking them in warm water before does help take out some of the starch resulting in a crispier chip.

I have made home made french fries, but not potato chips. My mom made them when I was a kid though, and I thought they were pretty awesome. I did see a microwave recipe for one, that I tried..was OK, not great. You don't really need a fryer to make any of these things though, a deep pan with oil in is fine. I had some handmade potato chips in a restaurant recently and they were delicious.

I can see this working well. It is usual in the UK to parboil potatoes before roasting them. Makes them extra crispy.

Back
Top Bottom