honesty boxes

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:09 AM
do you guys have honesty boxes in the country that sell goods like fruit and veges. The reason I ask is we went to our sons for dinner last night and took a back road. On this road was an honesty box with all sorts of veges for sale, a big box attached to the stall for putting the money into. We bought some peppers corn and coriander. The coriander was a huge bunch for $2. I took it home and froze in 4 batches for coming winter.
The same amount from a supermarket would have cost $20. I think I'll be going back.

Russ

Yes we do - on farms and sometimes outside people's houses. The best honesty box food I ever got was samphire in North Norfolk (outside someone's house who had foraged it from the shore).

Last edited:
Yes we do - on farms and sometimes outside people's houses. The best honesty box food I ever got was samphire in North Norfolk (outside someone's house who had foraged it from the shore).

Samphire grazed lamb, man I bet that is the best ever lamb. Next trip I'm trying it. There used to be a few boxes selling eggs and other things but the thieves obviously target them. This place was a good 20 min drive from my house. And there was a camera there to keep people honest I guess.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen something similar outside of a agricultural city called Immokalee (Seminole/ Miccosukee language) (I service the fire depts breathing air system). It is a seedless watermelon stand where you leave the money. If it were in a city, people would take the melons and steal the money. This time of year is our growing season (except for sugar cane which grows all year). In the area known as the Redland there are U-Pick places, mostly tomatoes and strawberries. There are a few CSAs, but the drive is quite long for a once a week trip.

People come steal right off my tree even tho i am not even selling anything. I was thinking of putting a game cam sighted towards the tangerine tree to see what neighbor is the culprit.

People come steal right off my tree even tho i am not even selling anything. I was thinking of putting a game cam sighted towards the tangerine tree to see what neighbor is the culprit.

We used to have that problem with our avocado. It wasn't close neighbors stealing. The dogs would usually start to bark so I'd look out and if they didn't see me I'd go turn the sprinklers on. Thing is though, we'd collect them every so often and put them out in a box by the road with a free sign on it, so why some people felt the need to trespass into our yard is beyond me.

You reminded me of a friend of mine. He had a garden and no fence. You only needed about 6 steps to get to the garden. Anyway one year he kept going on about his great cabbages. They were impressive. I went round to see him one night and he was wild as. He had gone out to cut a cabbage and all the hearts had been stolen. Just the heart so you wouldn't know. Who does that??

Russ

Back
Top Bottom