Horseradish Sauce

Yeah a mate of mine gave me a good root,lol, about 8 weeks ago, it's quite big now, enough to make some sauce but would like a recipe from someone who's made it.

Russ

Anyone know how to make a nice horseradish sauce please?

Russ
My wife makes it from scratch - we grow horseradish in the garden. Just grate it finely and add to thick/double/heavy cream, sometimes a little sugar to taste. I think there was a thread about it a few months ago - you can freeze the root and grate bits off as required.

We've made this, but it uses prepared horseradish, not fresh, so I'd either cook the fresh or probably start out with about 1/3 cup instead of a whole cup then add as needed, fine grate, you don't want big pieces of horseradish in your sauce.

1 cup well-drained prepared horseradish
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Few drops Tabasco sauce

Mix all ingredients well, refrigerate and allow to meld for several hours or overnight.

We've also made this.

3/4 cup fresh finely grated horseradish
3 tablespoons finely minced shallots
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
salt and white pepper to taste

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, whisking gently. Reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and keep warm until serving.

You can also whip some heavy cream just until soft peaks form, stir in some finely grated horseradish to taste, add salt and pepper and a touch of lemon juice. There used to be a restaurant we went to that served this with their deep fried mushrooms and zucchini chips. Yummy!

Back
Top Bottom