• 125 g thick set natural yoghurt
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick (50 mm)
  • 8 green cardamoms
  • 6 cloves
  • 10 dried chilies
  • 8 peppercorns
  • 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 piece ginger root, coarsely chopped (25 mm cube)
  • 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 225 g butter
  • 400 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • cinnamon stick, broken up (100 mm )
  • 150 ml single cream or 150 ml plain yogurt
hot butter chicken.jpg

Method

Wash and dry the chicken and cut into 30 mm cubes.

Grind the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, dried chilies and peppercorns to a fine powder.

Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice and ground spices and beat until smooth. Add the chicken, mix, cover the container and leave in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.

Liquidise the onion, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste and mix in the salt. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat and stir fry the onion/ginger/garlic paste for 1 minute. Add the marinated chicken and stir fry for 10 minutes.

Add the tomato puree and butter and cook on a low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and keep aside.

Mix the tomatoes, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a separate pan, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until the liquid is reduced a little. Remove from the heat and allow the tomatoes to cool slightly.

Sieve the cooked tomatoes and discard the cinnamon. Add the tomatoes to the chicken and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Gently stir in the cream (or yoghurt) 1 tablespoon at a time then simmer, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes.

Ingredients
  • 1 kg skinless chicken breast
  • 125 g thick set natural yoghurt
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick (50 mm)
  • 8 green cardamoms
  • 6 cloves
  • 10 dried chilies
  • 8 peppercorns
  • 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 piece ginger root, coarsely chopped (25 mm cube)
  • 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 225 g butter
  • 400 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • cinnamon stick, broken up (100 mm )
  • 150 ml single cream or 150 ml plain yogurt
View attachment 3277

Method

Wash and dry the chicken and cut into 30 mm cubes.

Grind the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, dried chilies and peppercorns to a fine powder.

Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice and ground spices and beat until smooth. Add the chicken, mix, cover the container and leave in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.

Liquidise the onion, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste and mix in the salt. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat and stir fry the onion/ginger/garlic paste for 1 minute. Add the marinated chicken and stir fry for 10 minutes.

Add the tomato puree and butter and cook on a low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and keep aside.

Mix the tomatoes, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a separate pan, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until the liquid is reduced a little. Remove from the heat and allow the tomatoes to cool slightly.

Sieve the cooked tomatoes and discard the cinnamon. Add the tomatoes to the chicken and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Gently stir in the cream (or yoghurt) 1 tablespoon at a time then simmer, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes.

I notice you state wash and dry the chicken. Whilst this is common practice in the East and in some parts of America, H & S advice says 'Do not wash chicken'. It can spread dangerous bacteria around the kitchen. In fact, quite a lot of supermarket chicken now state this on the packaging.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygi...n-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx

The recipe looks great, BTW!

MG - I am in the east! However, my wife requires food items to be washed prior to cooking.

Last edited:
MG - I am in the east! However, my wife requires food item to be washed prior to cooking.
I know you are in the East which is why I mentioned that.:D The practice is nevertheless proven to be dangerous. Cooking destroys bacteria. Washing sprays it around. The water droplets are invisible but carry bacteria. Its her choice of course - and I know that some traditions die hard.

These are photos which @Yorky had uploaded to the Photobucket (a hosting site) which I believe he no longer uses. He has been replacing these photos gradually I think.

I no longer use Photobucket because they expected me to pay UD$40.00/month for the privilege. I recovered all my photos from their site onto my hard drive.

However, I am not now able to edit the above posts (out of time) so cannot replace the photographs. I have re-loaded the images here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/butter-chicken-recipe.13106/

I no longer use Photobucket because they expected me to pay UD$40.00/month for the privilege. I recovered all my photos from their site onto my hard drive.

However, I am not now able to edit the above posts (out of time) so cannot replace the photographs. I have re-loaded the images here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/butter-chicken-recipe.13106/

Thanks @Yorky. I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn can (temporarily?) alter the settings for you if you want to update the thread. I will ask her.

Last edited:

To put that into perspective, that would be US$480/year - my own web hosting amounts to US$ 125.00/year.

Back
Top Bottom