Hot Cross Buns

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:55 PM
Easter approaches! I love hot cross buns and they are great fun to make. Will you be making any this year or do you buy them for Easter? Do you have a special recipe?. Here are mine - see here for the recipe

IMGP0182.jpg

IMGP0186.jpg

This has made me think I should make the effort to make them. I have never tried but I do make other types of fruit buns so I will have a bash.

I made some a couple of years ago using the recipe that came with my old breadmaker. They were decidedly dry, and last year I went back to buying them. This year I will give your recipe a go. Hot cross buns are far too moreish.

There you go!

WP_20170402_11_06_04_Pro.jpg

Just out of the oven. I couldn't pipe the crosses too well (shaky hands this morning) so I used the handle of a teaspoon to spread them on. Also used warmed honey for the glaze. The gap in the front is where I had to test one :laugh: Really nice and soft.

There you go!

View attachment 6148

Just out of the oven. I couldn't pipe the crosses too well (shaky hands this morning) so I used the handle of a teaspoon to spread them on. Also used warmed honey for the glaze. The gap in the front is where I had to test one :laugh: Really nice and soft.
Wow! I'm so pleased they worked for you. I don't can't remember how long they keep soft but if they go dry then they are good toasted.

Wow! I'm so pleased they worked for you. I don't can't remember how long they keep soft but if they go dry then they are good toasted.
3 down, 7 to go. I've put mine in a large plastic sweet box. It keeps bread fine for 4 days (not that my bread usually stays in there that long), so should be OK for the hot cross buns.

Meant to add, I used my bread maker up to the end of the first proof, then carried on as per your recipe. It's that first kneading that usual kills my hands and my fingers. Also, I think that may have been what was wrong with the recipe in the book supplied by Kenwood (which was actually for a loaf, but I decided to make buns with the dough). It put all the fruit in before the first proof, and then cut out the second one altogether. It may have worked better if it had been made as "artisan bread" rather than a normal loaf.

Maybe it's just me, but every time I hear the term hot cross buns, I think of the first time I played a musical instrument, and learned to read music by.

Back
Top Bottom