Hot Sauces

I said that I may be behind the times.

Which don't match?

And it does state "The following table shows the approximate SHUs of various types of popular chili peppers"

Anchos are a dried chili, poblano I believe. Serranos don't look like what is pictured. The one pictured in its place looks like a ripe Fresno.

Last edited:
Is that what happens when you eat too much chilli sauce?:laugh:

Seriously though, chilli can actually cause tremors or even fits if taken in massive quantities. Generally speaking the effect is good - chilli causes release of endorphins which produce a feel good factor.:D

I photographed with a small Canon Powershot SX100 in low light. Flash was objectionable as it caused overexposure. I didn't want to drag my Canon 5D out for this. I wasn't purposed to be artsy.

Many home sauce brewers use a mash.

So it's traditional.

@CraigC

You do a couple things that I would like to try, making your own chili salsas being one of them. Your making of your sausages being another. I hope I can find time to try these things with more success than my only attempt to do a Habanero salsa.

The regional hot sauce producers (Tabasco, Louisiana Hot Sauce) use a mash. After processing the hot sauce they sell the mash to restaurants serving boiled seafood. It is used to season the boiling water.

So it's traditional.

@CraigC

You do a couple things that I would like to try, making your own chili salsas being one of them. Your making of your sausages being another. I hope I can find time to try these things with more success than my only attempt to do a Habanero salsa.

I tend to stay away from words like traditional and authentic. They imply that the recipe and method are the only way something is made. Those words, IMO, are used when talking/discussing family recipes.

The mash is made to intensify flavor and can stretch a little amount of the main ingredient.

The mash is made to intensify flavor and can stretch a little amount of the main ingredient.

Is the word 'mash' synonymous with fermenting? Just wondered. Its not a word we use very much in the UK except for mashed potatoes! I'm assuming that Tabasco is made from a fermentation process, for example.

Is the word 'mash' synonymous with fermenting? Just wondered. Its not a word we use very much in the UK except for mashed potatoes! I'm assuming that Tabasco is made from a fermentation process, for example.

Well bourbon is often called Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey. Yes I believe that mash is always associated with fermentation.

Back
Top Bottom