Hotel "Continental Breakfasts"

No no no - English is correct. The contents are subtly different in both Scotland and Ireland. The hash brown is acceptable [nothing wrong with a little experimenting with 'foreign' flavours] but to be accurate I suppose it should be replaced with fried bread.
Even so that is what a REAL breakfast looks like. :hungry:
Yes, you are technically correct. But these days the English and Irish and Scottish overlap quite a lot. And what about Wales (tell us @welsh dragon)?

N The hash brown is acceptable [nothing wrong with a little experimenting with 'foreign' flavours] but to be accurate I suppose it should be replaced with fried bread.
Quite right. But one can always have both. :D But now I've inspected the photograph I posted, I'm wondering what the round discs are on top of the black pudding!

According to my husband they are slices of white pudding, an Irish version of black pudding.
I thought that myself. But note that white pudding is not completely an Irish thing as it is also quite common oop norf - especially in Northumberland and Scotland. In northern Ireland I believe the name 'Ulster Fry' is a term for the full breakfast [although exactly what it contains I am not sure - any Ulstermen/women out there ?]

Well it may be because its an English breakfast (also known as a full English) - should be called a British or UK breakfast really. I reckon you can get a full English in Australia, though.

View attachment 1756
That looks like a great breakfast, but I think I would be ready to go back to bed after eating it. I do not think I have ever eaten a breakfast with so many components. Looks delicious , except for the pork beans, I would have to do without those.

We love staying at hotels with a free breakfast. We were in Hawaii and stayed at a Sheraton that offered a true continental breakfast with pastries, tea and coffee. It was fantastic. The pastries were fresh and delicious. Now when we are traveling in the US we look for restaurants that have a free breakfast. We've stayed at ones with the make your own waffles. It's very fun for the kids and along with the waffles comes bacon, eggs, toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, muffins. It's a great way to save money. We will fill up the buffet breakfast and sometimes not even need lunch.

That looks like a great breakfast, but I think I would be ready to go back to bed after eating it. I do not think I have ever eaten a breakfast with so many components. Looks delicious , except for the pork beans, I would have to do without those.
Pork beans? Do you mean baked beans?

A good English breakfast is good but a proper continental is my favourite,cheeses ,fruits ,breads ,fruits ,nuts,pastries ,juices and smoothies ,hams and cured meats,pancakes

Last summer in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the hotel we stayed in had a continental section for the breakfast buffet aside from the Malaysian section. It was a great time we had in that hotel because I had Malaysian food while my husband satiated himself with continental breakfast - omelet, ham, sausages, baked beans and other continental food like pancakes. That's the problem with my husband, he couldn't eat much other than Chinese, American and continental because of the spicy food wouldn't agree with his acidic stomach.

I've had two completely different experiences last year during our travels. The first one was at a popular hotel, I won't give any names, but this one was highly recommended. Our breakfast was free but was a terrible mess. Cold eggs, weak coffee, greasy hashbrowns swimming in oil, customer service wasn't up to the quality we expected. On the other visit, we stayed at a low key hotel, where we only stayed a few days for a wedding. I have to say, for such a small hotel, I never expected a buffet of foods to choose from. Great service and satisfaction. Definitely will go back there in the future. Our breakfast wasn't free though and we didn't mind, we thought it was well affordable and worth the money.

So which would you go to? Free breakfast but terrible service, or Paid breakfast but well taken cared of, like royalty?

Back
Top Bottom