Review Houseworth Halogen Convection Oven HW-COG12

I seem to have all the same kit as you do - plus a spray bottle to use of needing to spray the food with oil before cooking.

@Yorky, I plan to test run the oven with something cheap and simple when I get back at the weekend. What do you think would be a good starting point? Baked potato? Chips?

@Yorky, I plan to test run the oven with something cheap and simple when I get back at the weekend. What do you think would be a good starting point? Baked potato? Chips?

I wouldn't do chips as my experiment failed. Roast potatoes in the halogen are very good. I cube them and par boil for 5 minutes. When cooled a little I put them on the alloy tray and brush them with olive oil (you could spray them, I guess). At 200 degC they'll be cooked in 15 to 20 minutes. Keep your eye on them after 10 minutes.

I wouldn't do chips as my experiment failed. Roast potatoes in the halogen are very good. I cube them and par boil for 5 minutes. When cooled a little I put them on the alloy tray and brush them with olive oil (you could spray them, I guess). At 200 degC they'll be cooked in 15 to 20 minutes. Keep your eye on them after 10 minutes.

I will do just as you say and report back with photos hopefully. It will be interesting to compare. What size did you cube them?

As far as I know, the only damage that can be suffered by the food is overcooking/burning. It cooks extremely quickly!

I will do just as you say and report back with photos hopefully. It will be interesting to compare. What size did you cube them?

About 25mm (1 inch).

If you take photographs whilst the spuds are under the light, set the "white balance" on the camera/handphone to "incandescent" or "tungsten".

About 25mm (1 inch).

If you take photographs whilst the spuds are under the light, set the "white balance" on the camera/handphone to "incandescent" or "tungsten".

OK, thanks - will need to work out how to do that on the phone camera. I'm not sure its possible. We will see.

OK, thanks - will need to work out how to do that on the phone camera. I'm not sure its possible. We will see.

On my Samsung handphone it is under "Pro", "settings", "WB". I don't know whether the Auto white balance will work. It doesn't on my DSLR.

As far as I know, the only damage that can be suffered by the food is overcooking/burning. It cooks extremely quickly!

For example today. I was browning the crust of this porkie when my wife arrived back from the supermarket.

halogen 1 s.jpg

I left it on it's own for less than a few minutes!

halogen 2 s.jpg

I thought about getting one of these, but the programmed cooking time does not go past 60 minutes on some of them
My toaster oven can be programmed to cook for up to 90 minutes!! :wink:

Last edited:
I thought about getting one of these, but the programmed cooking time does not go past 60 minutes on some of them
My toaster oven can be programmed to cook for up to 90 minutes!! :wink:

They cook things super fast though - so there is not much you would want to cook for beyond an hour.

They cook things super fast though - so there is not much you would want to cook for beyond an hour.

I know that a whole chicken or chicken pieces take about an hour or slightly more to cook or roast. Yeah, they DO have a high-speed turbofan that moves the hot air around rapidly to gain speed & quickly sear things to perfection. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom