Review Houseworth Halogen Convection Oven HW-COG12

They cook things super fast though - so there is not much you would want to cook for beyond an hour.

I can't think of any food that I've cooked for over 30 minutes*! Maybe roast potatoes if they weren't parboiled first. Large pork loins or fillets maybe.

[Edit: * in the halogen oven]

Last edited:
I can't think of any food that I've cooked for over 30 minutes! Maybe roast potatoes if they weren't parboiled first. Large pork loins or fillets maybe.

You've cooked chicken for over 30 minutes?!!
See, I just can't see getting a air fryer & then a Turbo Convection oven also. Not that much countertop space!! :headshake:

You've cooked chicken for over 30 minutes?!!

If I'm making a curry I probably cook chicken for about 30 minutes in total but that's on the stove-top.

See, I just can't see getting a air fryer & then a Turbo Convection oven also.

From what I've seen on Cooking Bites they appear to be the same thing. Different makes and styles but the cooking method appears to be the same.

About 25mm (1 inch).

If you take photographs whilst the spuds are under the light, set the "white balance" on the camera/handphone to "incandescent" or "tungsten".

For reference, the first image was captured with the White Balance set at "tungsten"; the second was automatic (no other post adjustments). Not a major difference.

December 5 s.jpg

December 6 s.jpg

We appear to have a new convert. A friend bought one yesterday. Although he is not a member of cookingbites.com he was able to read this thread and was impressed. We shall see.

Roast chicken breast.

In my opinion that chicken was overcooked. I reduced the cooking temperature to 175 degC but I wanted it "browned" so it was left in too long. I shall cook it at 200 degC next time.

My wife said it was OK for her.

Roast potatoes 25 mins at 200 C (par-boiled first for 8 mins) - not very good photos and I haven't bothered to crop or adjust them:

20181208_124058.jpg

20181208_130420.jpg

20181208_130505.jpg

They came out very dry although crisp and nice and fluffy inside. I think the dryness was because I used a spray of '1 cal oil' rather than tossing them in olive oil or vegetable oil.

Since then I've cooked chips in the same manner but using vegetable oil and they came out fine - sorry no photos.

Roast potatoes 25 mins at 200 C (par-boiled first for 8 mins) - not very good photos and I haven't bothered to crop or adjust them:

View attachment 21290

View attachment 21292

View attachment 21293

They came out very dry although crisp and nice and fluffy inside. I think the dryness was because I used a spray of '1 cal oil' rather than tossing them in olive oil or vegetable oil.

Since then I've cooked chips in the same manner but using vegetable oil and they came out fine - sorry no photos.

That looks nice!!

I see that you used the "high" rack. I use a solid tray on the low rack for roast spuds.

Looking at how long I should cook chicken, I watched a video on the internet. None of it made any sense to me.

E.g. parboiling potatoes for 20 minutes? Roasting in the halogen for well over an hour?

The reason that it doesn't make sense to me is that I parboil potatoes for 5 minutes and thereafter cook (admittedly on their own) for 15 minutes at 200 degC and they end up like my today's dinner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom