Review Houseworth Halogen Convection Oven HW-COG12

Looking at how long I should cook chicken, I watched a video on the internet. None of it made any sense to me.

E.g. parboiling potatoes for 20 minutes? Roasting in the halogen for well over an hour?

The reason that it doesn't make sense to me is that I parboil potatoes for 5 minutes and thereafter cook (admittedly on their own) for 15 minutes at 200 degC and they end up like my today's dinner.

Mine took longer than 15 mins in the halogen but I probably cut them larger. An hour sounds insanely long - they wouldn't take that long in a conventional oven.

Mine were "sitting" in excess oil on a "hot plate" so there was no need to turn them over.

Does your oven switch itself on and off @Yorky - a thermostat I suppose, to maintain temperature. I just wondered because your oven seems to cook a bit more fiercely than mine. That might just be an illusion though as I haven't replicated exactly something that you cooked.

Yesterday I cooked a puff pastry savoury - it turned out really well. Photo to follow.

Does your oven switch itself on and off @Yorky - a thermostat I suppose, to maintain temperature. I just wondered because your oven seems to cook a bit more fiercely than mine. That might just be an illusion though as I haven't replicated exactly something that you cooked.

Depending upon the temperature setting it switches the heat source off and on yes (not the fan). If I'm cooking tandoor at 250 degC (maximum setting on mine) I don't think that it switches off.

Puff pastry with Mackerel, Harissa and Olives. This took 12 minutes at 180C

fullsizeoutput_3ee0.jpeg

These were parboiled for 5 minutes and roasted at 200 degC for 15 minutes (after cooling). I ate them today.

roast spuds s.jpg

You are definitely cutting them smaller than mine. I'll have to try 200C instead of 180C and cut them smaller to compare times.

I do use a knife regularly but I have become accustomed to eating with a fork and spoon (Thai style) so tend to cut a lot of food into "bite sized" pieces.

Soft white bread/rolls baked in a shallow cake tin at 175C. - recipe based on a link you posted @Yorky: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/fluffy-bread-rolls.12140/

fullsizeoutput_3f07.jpeg

They turned out fine in the end - but:

I baked for 12 minutes (bottom wire tray) and they looked done until I took them out of the tin and realised the bottoms were not cooked. Also a knife inserted revealed a sticky centre. So rather unconventionally, I put them back in the tin upside down and cooked for another 7 minutes.

Based on the above and your Yorkshire pudding and pizza attempts @Yorky, I'm thinking that the oven doesn't cook evenly and the tops of things cook faster than the base.

I need to test this with a cake.

Depending upon the temperature setting it switches the heat source off and on yes (not the fan). If I'm cooking tandoor at 250 degC (maximum setting on mine) I don't think that it switches off.
Do you have a tandoor? I'm jealous if you have.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom