Houston Celebrates

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
3:15 AM
The Houston Astros won the World Series last night. Good for Houston! A city still recovering from the devastation of Harvey they need the boost.

George is in Houston on business. He said the euphoria is amazing. He watched the game in the hotel bar. Grown men cried with joy.

It's a Yank thing

If it were up to me there would be no sports, hunting or fishing channels on the cable service. Cooking, gardening, home décor and movies would be my pick.

OK here's a question for you guys in the states [no offense intended] how is it the world series when TBH nobody much else plays it seriously outside America?
Actually there are quite a few American baseball teams in the UK, especially around London. A work colleague of my daughter's used to play regularly, and she and her husband often used to go and watch when they lived down here. Baseball was originally a British game, and has been around for hundreds of years. In the late 19th/early 20th century a lot of the football clubs had their own baseball teams too. The Americans imported it. For the record, I am not fond of it. I prefer NASCAR!

My Mom was a huge Cleveland Indians fan. I grew up loving baseball. It's in my blood. However, I find that watching baseball on TV makes for a good nap. I prefer listening to the game. Normally I will listen on either my tablet or cellphone via an app. However, if it's a night game and we're driving in our car, there is a good chance we can pick up the radio signal from the Cleveland radio station all the way in Massachusetts - 600+ miles away. It's a "clear channel" station, meaning that it can broadcast at a higher strength (50,000 watts of power) and does not have to go off the air from sunset to sunrise. With fewer stations, there is less interference for their radio signal. We've been known to be able to carry the signal down into Florida, losing it less than 50 miles north of Orlando.

I was disappointed when my team didn't make it all the way through the playoffs. However, if any city here in the U.S. of A. needed a win in one of the sports, it was Houston. The hurricane floods were terrible and devastating. This was a nice diversion - and a lot of money was raised to go towards rebuilding the city and her peoples. I'm happy for all of their fans and folks.

OK here's a question for you guys in the states [no offense intended] how is it the world series when TBH nobody much else plays it seriously outside America?
Baseball is huge in the Caribbean and Japan, and also big in South Korea. There's only one MLB team outside the US at the moment - Toronto (the Montreal team moved Washington) - and I think travel considerations are the main reason there hasn't been expansion to the Far East. Every season, there are a few games played in Japan. While other countries have leagues, the best players come to MLB to play, much like the best fútbol players in South America often go to Europe to ply their trade in the Premiership, Serie A, etc. So, while all the games are played in the States, the championship is a World series, even if the game isn't global (and probably never will be).

I like baseball strangely enough and am glad that Houston won ..

However, we are New York Yankee Fans and sometimes my husband and I go to a local Sports Bar to watch them play on Esn Sports T.V.

Back
Top Bottom