How big is your kitchen?

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
8:42 PM
Another post or two got me to thinking about this. Also how much usable counter space.
My kitchen proper is about 10 feet by 12 feet with an island at the end of one counter and a desk under the window. The deep freeze is just off the kitchen in the bedroom. We have shelves that extend into what I call the library. There are 3 file cabinets in that room. The room is roughly 9 feet by 12 feet. As to usable counter space, not counting the small appliances about a 2 feet by 4 feet area and about 2 foot square on the actual cabinet. There is also a roll out cart that holds the deep fryer and slow cooker most of the time. I move them if I need to use the bread machine.

My first thought was that I could take a picture of my kitchen. Then, I realized this would mean that I'd have to clean up my kitchen first, so that's never going to happen. The work area in my kitchen is maybe 5 feet by 10 feet, with a wrap-around counter on 3 sides of that. I have 2 cabinets where I store most of my numerous tools and gadgets, but some just stay on the wall-side of the counter because I don't have room for them: the deep fryer and crock pot are dark in color, so they match my granite counter top. I also have my insane array of spices in a cluster on the back edge of one counter, since there's no spice rack in the world big enough to fit everything: it looks something like one of the battles in Braveheart. No deep freezer....just the side-by-side refrigerator-freezer.

I had the same idea about the pictures.

My spice rack is a filing cabinet drawer. Actually one big drawer and the front of a smaller drawer.
Pictures somewhere on the site.
My countertops are circa 1970s whatever was popular then. I have two that wrap around. The third wall has the refrigerator and stove.
There are shelves beside when closed behind when opened the back door. It holds the can goods.

Without the little table (eat-in kitchen tables they are often called) off to the side, it's about 25' x 18'.
Adding in the table, it's 35 x 18.

Lots of counter space. And an island with stools.

It's a mess 'cause we're heading out to the lake, but here's the whole thing:

0721171343a_HDR.jpg

And just the working area:
0721171345a_HDR.jpg

0721171349_HDR.jpg

The double doors on the left is the pantry.

It's a mess 'cause we're heading out to the lake, but here's the whole thing
I don't feel so bad now! Maybe I'll take a picture of mine after all. You'll realize why all my pictures are zoomed in so closely: just past the perimeter of every photo, chaos looms.

@The Late Night Gourmet. @morning glory. @Cinisajoy & @buckytom ..

Bucky has a dynamic kitchen !

My kitchen in our Barcelona apartment is quite tiny, and the one in Cadaques, which we use at weekends or when we visit my parents, and sons, and my husband´s parents, and go up on long weekends when I do not have to work, is quite a bit larger & totally renovated.

I have to check my photographs on Monday and see if I have a photo or 2 ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

I just measured mine - its 10ft by 7ft - galley style. A lot of kitchens in the UK are galley style. I don't know if its as common elsewhere. Tomorrow I'll measure the counter space and take a snap.

Back
Top Bottom